Servers been slow/sluggish as of late...

Smokey

I've noticed that Hawkhost's shared servers (specifically lightning?) Have been rather sluggish lately. Why is this?  Sometimes it'll load up right away while other times it'll take a good 15-25 seconds to load up?

I've noticed this on my site as well as forumpromotion.net and I believe Fowler is already in contact with you guys about this issue?

Can anything be done to improve load speeds?  I've had quite a few issues the past month with Hawkhost and i'm quite surprised but my co-admin is insisting we move off of Hawkhost if service does not improve. I'd hate to leave Hawk because it's been the best host I've used in years and I've been with you guys since 2010 but if it's time to go then I guess I have no other option......I would like to give Hawk the benefit of the doubt though and I'm just curious if anything has changed in terms of server maintainence or if there's been any other underlying issues that can be sorted out to improve site speeds?

Several servers including Lightning started producing a weird web server bug on situations when there were high amounts of randomized traffic.  We put on mitigation steps to help us stop from producing it until we had supplied fix which we received today which we will be testing and hopefully deploying over the next 24 hours.

Also have other exciting news for Lightning but you'll need to wait for the email on it :)

We all get free dedicated servers??? :P j/k

Several servers including Lightning started producing a weird web server bug on situations when there were high amounts of randomized traffic.  We put on mitigation steps to help us stop from producing it until we had supplied fix which we received today which we will be testing and hopefully deploying over the next 24 hours.

Also have other exciting news for Lightning but you'll need to wait for the email on it :)

Lightning appears to be in decent shape right now.  Just added some new Email Filter rules to CPanel which were always my "canary" that things were slow, as for some reason when Lightning was slow Email filters took forever in CPanel.

Non Sequitor but: 200 keyword filters on my email and the Spammers still get about 100 emails through per day....the cat and mouse game continues.

Has the transfer of lightning occurred yet? :)

sea005 has been slow as well.  I had installed a new WP site and noticed it was taking 2-8 seconds to load a page.  I thought it was just WP, but checked a Joomla install I know hasn't been changed and has ran fast for a long time...and it was also slow.

It's been started you should get an email when it's been completed :)  Everything that has been moved thus far though is flying the wonders of solid state drive caching, more memory and newer CPU's, newer operating system among other things :)

Good to hear Tony! :) Looking forward to it. :)  Also, will you be upgrading the version of PHP and Mysql? I'm asking because I know newer versions of Xenforo (forum software i'm running) will requrie PHP 5.3+

that being said, I'm fairly certain IPB will be upping their requirements for IPB 4.0, which is why I'm curious if you guys will be upgrading PHP from 5.2.x and Mysql to a newer version? :)

Good to hear Tony! :) Looking forward to it. :)  Also, will you be upgrading the version of PHP and Mysql? I'm asking because I know newer versions of Xenforo (forum software i'm running) will requrie PHP 5.3+

that being said, I'm fairly certain IPB will be upping their requirements for IPB 4.0, which is why I'm curious if you guys will be upgrading PHP from 5.2.x and Mysql to a newer version? :)

Already offer PHP 5.3 and 5.4 you just need to switch it on your account.  We also might have a new fancy interface soon to do it we will see :)

As far as MySQL it's going to be 5.1 still at this point.  We're testing 5.5 but a few issues with a few user applications make it not wise for us to be switching during a migration.  It'll be more along the lines of a a notice and upgrade per server when we do that.

I assume everything is performing great on the new server?

So far so good, the new server is screaming right along. One thing I'm following is my email volume has changed a bit.  I think it's for the better as the Spam seems to have gone down more than anything else.  Nobody's been reporting blocked emails so I don't think it's traffic related necessarily, did someone fine tune a Spam filter during the move?  I'll let you know if I have something more definite.  Thanks guys!

So far so good, the new server is screaming right along. One thing I'm following is my email volume has changed a bit.  I think it's for the better as the Spam seems to have gone down more than anything else.  Nobody's been reporting blocked emails so I don't think it's traffic related necessarily, did someone fine tune a Spam filter during the move?  I'll let you know if I have something more definite.  Thanks guys!

I'm guessing this was caused by cPanel 11.36 which was just recently released.  Around the same time as the migrations we were switching over to 11.36 on all systems.

Was Hornet experiencing something similar? It is still often sluggish, loads well into the 20s and 30s many times a day.

We're investigating that's very strange.  The hornet system is actually running solid state drives and disk I/O isn't an issue.  I'm guessing a single user is thrashing the CPU's via MySQL in a manner making it not trigger anything on our monitoring end.  Which is why we should hopefully soon have a MySQL limiting system similar to how we handle PHP so not a single user can try to turn MySQL into their own personal dedicated server.

I've noticed that Hawkhost's shared servers (specifically lightning?) Have been rather sluggish lately. 

can confirm this. i'm on wdc6

was always very satisfied with the speed and response times. but maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago suddenly page delivery got really bad. sometimes you had to wait 10 secs or longer. 

since the  build  time of the php pages didn't slow down, i didn't submit a ticket. you never know where the problem is when pages have to cross the atlantic.

since i know you as being very reliable i decided to just wait.

after some days page delivery improved, but it's still not as speedy as it was one or two months ago.

on the server status page there is a DOS attack noted for wdc6.

a DOS attack would be consistent with my impression of the slowdown. response times varied quite a bit, but were generally much too high. 

right now i can live with the somewhat slower response times, but i guess there are still some problemes with either wdc6 or your larger wdc network. 

can confirm this. i'm on wdc6

was always very satisfied with the speed and response times. but maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago suddenly page delivery got really bad. sometimes you had to wait 10 secs or longer. 

since the  build  time of the php pages didn't slow down, i didn't submit a ticket. you never know where the problem is when pages have to cross the atlantic.

since i know you as being very reliable i decided to just wait.

after some days page delivery improved, but it's still not as speedy as it was one or two months ago.

on the server status page there is a DOS attack noted for wdc6.

a DOS attack would be consistent with my impression of the slowdown. response times varied quite a bit, but were generally much too high. 

right now i can live with the somewhat slower response times, but i guess there are still some problemes with either wdc6 or your larger wdc network. 

If you're still having issues I'd recommend opening a ticket.  I checked our logs and system administrators identified an operating system issue using a large amount of memory that would have affected caches and our monitoring wouldn't have caught that as it ran as root.  Then a few users suddenly had outgrown shared environment with regards to MySQL.  Then of course the attacks against cPanel which we've now been filtering for several days straight. 

The other thing some users have had issues with in the past week or so is brute forcing of their wordpress installations.  There is right now a global brute forcing going on with over 50,000 IP's across the world attempting to brute force wordpress installations.  If an account is seeing it they could potentially be hitting their CPU limits 24/7 thus having slow sites.  We're recommending users consider a brute force protection plugin in wordpress or if possible htaccess password restricted wordpress admin or even IP restricting it.

thanx for info. speed seems pretty normal right now. 

not using wordpress.

but the restrictions on remote mysql are really annoying. (i know it's not your fault).

just finished a php module that allows me to at least insert rows via http requests with encrypted POST data. (can post it here in case somebody has same problem)

thanx for info. speed seems pretty normal right now. 

not using wordpress.

but the restrictions on remote mysql are really annoying. (i know it's not your fault).

just finished a php module that allows me to at least insert rows via http requests with encrypted POST data. (can post it here in case somebody has same problem)

Unfortunately closing remote MySQL was our only choice due to all the flooding the systems have been dealing with.  The good news is a simple ticket to our support team and the IP address you're making the remote connections from and we can whitelist you to allow your connections through.  We'll work on a better system to deal with this hopefully but for now this has solved a lot of the MySQL instability experienced as machines are no longer dealing with constant attempt dos attacks and other malicious activity when they allowed MySQL remote connections.

I know a ticket is the way to go but for example around 4:30AM ET this morning I got database errors and third party server monitoring 'down' messages. And right now ping is 75% loss from my location and just got server monitoring email as well.

This is regarding hornet