What versions of PHP are Available? Or Why won't MediaWiki upgrade?

tekiegreg

Softaculous detects the servers default PHP version, which right now is still the 5.2.X branch. Even if you set a handler to your account to use 5.3.X or 5.4.X Softaculous doesn't care, all it relies on is the system. We're looking to move to 5.3.X as the default in the coming weeks which will fix this.

In the mean time you'll need to do the software upgrade manually I'm afraid. Instructions on how to manually upgrade can be found at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading -- if it does require 5.3.X to do manually, follow the instructions at https://support.hawkhost.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/107/0/how-do-i-use-php-53 to switch your account to PHP 5.3.X.

• 3 months later...

I would like to use Softlacious as well, but Hawkhost is behind the stable release of PHP.  I wish someone would be on top of these updates. 

PHP 5.4.13 (Current stable)

We have PHP 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 and we're working on a solution to that where if an application in softaculous requires 5.2, 5.3 or 5.4 it will know and install and pick the right version for the account.

Softaculous detects the servers default PHP version, which right now is still the 5.2.X branch. Even if you set a handler to your account to use 5.3.X or 5.4.X Softaculous doesn't care, all it relies on is the system. We're looking to move to 5.3.X as the default in the coming weeks which will fix this.

I'm having same issue while trying to install an app through Softaculous. When do you plan to move to php 5.3 as the default?

Thanks!

To anyone in this thread / reading this thread, for the time being if you are unable to install an app via Softaculous due to a PHP version issue please submit a ticket (https://support.hawkhost.com) and link to this forum thread, and also let us know what you're trying to install.

We have a work-around but it can only be applied to individual accounts for now until we move the servers default PHP version to the 5.3.X branch (which is coming soon, I promise you guys!).

We have PHP 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 and we're working on a solution to that where if an application in softaculous requires 5.2, 5.3 or 5.4 it will know and install and pick the right version for the account.

Here's a small preview of what's coming as we're closing in on having this tested and ready to be deployed:

post-2-0-09502400-1365565626_thumb.png

The selector is really, really good, except it's not quite working (for me).

I changed my version of php to 5.3 so I could install 'tiny tiny rss' via softaculous. But the version shown in the left sidebar of cpanel still shows as 5.2.17 and when I try to install 'tiny tiny rss' it still complains that I am less than 5.3.

Any ideas?

The selector is really, really good, except it's not quite working (for me).

I changed my version of php to 5.3 so I could install 'tiny tiny rss' via softaculous. But the version shown in the left sidebar of cpanel still shows as 5.2.17 and when I try to install 'tiny tiny rss' it still complains that I am less than 5.3.

Any ideas?

Can you try now?  If not would you mind opening a ticket?  The softaculous portion is still distributing but I believe the server you're on now should have it.

Now to answer the question about the cPanel left bar that's just displaying what cPanel installed.  I don't think that'll be changing right now until we determine a good way to address that.

• 3 weeks later...

How are you finding PHP 5.5 to be so far? Personally I have zero experience with it and you may be one of the first customers I've heard using it so I'm curious what your experience has been like (if you have any thoughts!) :)

WordPress and MediaWiki are solid so far, nothing else to report.

How are you finding PHP 5.5 to be so far? Personally I have zero experience with it and you may be one of the first customers I've heard using it so I'm curious what your experience has been like (if you have any thoughts!) :)