Movable Type

neqn

Not a clue but I doubt it can be any worse then some of the wordpress blogs we run into. Wordpress blogs with 50+ plugins and all that jazz. So if you want to use it go nuts if we have an issue with your resources you'll be contacted. Though I doubt it be the case unless you're getting a ton of traffic.

I really am just interested in installing it and learning about it. It does seem that depending on the activity, shared hosting might not be the best place for it. I just want to try it out and learn about it, that's really all. Apparently it's static, not dynamic like Wordpress, so it scales really well. Might as well give it a shot, apparently there are other shared hosting providers where it works, so I figure it will probably be OK.

I really am just interested in installing it and learning about it. It does seem that depending on the activity, shared hosting might not be the best place for it. I just want to try it out and learn about it, that's really all. Apparently it's static, not dynamic like Wordpress, so it scales really well. Might as well give it a shot, apparently there are other shared hosting providers where it works, so I figure it will probably be OK.

Another alternative is to install Movable Type on XAMPP for Windows, if you're interested in learning about it. Google search for "movable type" xampp windows

Installed it, and it seems to be running fine. Not so many worries about security as with Wordpress, kind of a relief in a way.

The one potential resource thing at some point is that when you publish/republish the pages, it needs CPU (obviously), but that's just during that time when it's doing its thing -- with just a few pages/posts the process took between 2-5 seconds but obviously the time it takes is going to increase as the content increases. With lots of content, republishing the site might take up some CPU for a longer period of time, but again, that depends on the amount of content. If I'm not mistaken, it's probably not something that would need to be done very often, you'd just publish the new pages, not republish the whole site. This would be an area where Cloud Linux, for instance, would be really cool -- it's not that it's a process that takes forever, it just needs CPU to do it once, and then it's done, so throttling it would be absolutely no problem. Also, if you've got a powerful CPU doing it, it won't take as long. It's the one thing I'm paying attention to. It tells you how long it took to do it when it does it, so it's an easy thing to pay attention to.

I'm seeing more shared environments that have used it successfully, so it's probably going to be OK.