Game Servers

Limey Packet

Well it would be things that are against our terms of service or acceptable use policy which are not allowed. Keep in mind VPS's are not ideal for game servers. It might run simple games but it wouldn't run your battlefield bad company 2 server or anything like that.

Well it would be things that are against our terms of service or acceptable use policy which are not allowed. Keep in mind VPS's are not ideal for game servers. It might run simple games but it wouldn't run your battlefield bad company 2 server or anything like that.

Keep in mind Tony there are emulation servers for most MMO's and such so VPS actually perform admirably for these. Now if you're referring to solely FPS type games a lot more goes into it making a VPS not an ideal solution.

@Limey as long as it doesn't take too much resources like user wise, you should be golden :). You could probably max out a total of 200-300 people maybe even more on a VPS.

Cool, thanks for the advice. :)

If I did decide to do that, it would probably build up slowly over time. Once I started to get up to 200 or so connections at any given time I would either get another VPS as a second game world or move on to a dedicated server.

@Limey as long as it doesn't take too much resources like user wise, you should be golden :). You could probably max out a total of 200-300 people maybe even more on a VPS.

Cool, thanks for the advice. :)

If I did decide to do that, it would probably build up slowly over time. Once I started to get up to 200 or so connections at any given time I would either get another VPS as a second game world or move on to a dedicated server.

Unfortunately Raymond your number is completely moot in this scenario as it's completely dependent on the type of game and how resource intensive it is. I could write a "game" that could exhaust a full server with 1 player (albeit poorly coded.. on purpose) or I could write one that was coded much nicer that could support 500 people. There are far too many variables to give an accurate number of what a VPS could support.