Credit Card Processing by Hawk Host

Gmaper

I attempted to order 12 months of web hosting this morning. I was quite surprised that my credit card was declined. I immediately called my bank to inquire as to why and they told me that the transaction from Hawk Host was an "International" transaction and the bank automatically rejects those because of fraud problems. The bank enabled my account for a one-time transaction from hawk Host and I was able to complete the order.

I think you should add a note somewhere in the order process to make sure that new and existing clients will not have a similar problem. I don't know how many banks operate as mine does but I would assume that with fraud being such a large problem there are many others.

I personally don't consider Canada as "International" but I know nothing about credit card billing systems. I have heard that it gets really cold in Canada. :)

I think you should add a note somewhere in the order process to make sure that new and existing clients will not have a similar problem. I don't know how many banks operate as mine does but I would assume that with fraud being such a large problem there are many others.

I personally don't consider Canada as "International" but I know nothing about credit card billing systems. I have heard that it gets really cold in Canada. :)

It seems like a good idea but from our perspective it could result in people not placing orders. I think that being on the order form would care a lot of people away. We're better off just dealing with the odd decline by a bank for it being international and us explaining to the user the issue.

As far as cold where we're located it's no colder than New York or anywhere in the north east. It's a lot colder way up north but you could say the United States is really cold based on the fact it's really cold in Alaska :)

• 3 weeks later...

I also am having problems paying by credit card. I never had a problem before, suddenly my card is being declined, its Visa. I've tried several times thinking it might be the way the address is worded, but its not working.

Billing support says the address for the card does not match the card but I called the bank (UK) and they said everything is fine and that if there was a problem they would have received notification the card has been declined but they've received nothing.

On a side note I'm not getting all the emails from Hawk Host, I got the final one saying they'd closed the ticket as I had not replied but not the earlier ones?? Hawk Host are great so I'm baffled as to what the problems are.

I also am having problems paying by credit card. I never had a problem before, suddenly my card is being declined, its Visa. I've tried several times thinking it might be the way the address is worded, but its not working.

Billing support says the address for the card does not match the card but I called the bank (UK) and they said everything is fine and that if there was a problem they would have received notification the card has been declined but they've received nothing.

On a side note I'm not getting all the emails from Hawk Host, I got the final one saying they'd closed the ticket as I had not replied but not the earlier ones?? Hawk Host are great so I'm baffled as to what the problems are.

If the person who handled the ticket said the address didn't match it's because our credit card merchant provides very little details and one of the few things they provide is if the address / CVV don't match (and it gets declined). If you like feel free to submit another ticket and we can take another peak.

Our ticket system auto-closes tickets after 48 hours after our reply to keep the system clean - beyond that we don't really close tickets unless they've conclusively been answered. If you could PM me the ticket ID(s) in question I'd be more than happy to take a look for you :)

There's nothing wrong with the card, this is not a bank or card issue. It works everywhere and worked with HawkHost until the latest transaction when it suddenly got declined. Something is wrong with the credit card merchant.

As explained in the ticket your address does not match what your credit card claims it is. We simply do a AVS check which your card keeps failing so we cannot accept the charge. Our merchant is very strict if AVS is supported it must match so if it was not they cancel the authorization on your card. Here's more info about the AVS system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Verification_System

Well it seems you guys are right. I just rang the bank for a second time and asked them to double check the address, they started reading it out and had switched it to my parents address where I haven't lived for 20 years. I had one mail item sent there from the bank a month ago as a temporary solution as I was outside the country and they decided to switch my address there without informing me.

I've reset it to my proper address and will try to pay again tomorrow. Sorry for the trouble, I had no idea they'd done this and when I rang them the first time they didn't mention anything about it.