question on addon domain hosting

canadave

Hi,

I just helped a non-profit group I volunteer with register their own domain name. For now, as soon as the domain comes online (in about an hour I guess), I'll add them on to my Hawk Host account so they have a web presence. However, I'm anticipating that they're going to want to obtain their own web hosting account, so of course I'm going to recommend they get a Hawk Host account ;)

My question is: if they get their own Hawk Host account, how do global DNS services "know" to point web requests for theirdomain.ca to their Hawk Host account rather than my own addon domain account for them? In either case their domain points to ns1.hawkhost.com and ns2.hawkhost.com, right? So how does a web request get resolved if I have them as an addon, yet they have their own HH account?

Obviously once they get their own HH account I'd delete them as one of my addon domains. However, there will be a brief period where we'll both be "online" as it were. And how would I transfer their website files from the addon domain (directory on my account) to their account? My head is spinning......;)

Thanks,

dave

How everything knows where their site would be once they switch to an account with us would be the fact our dns server (ns1.hawkhost.com and ns2.hawkhost.com) tell everyone what Ip the site is on. Then on the web server itself it figures out the actual directory and things like that based off of the domain the request was for.

As for moving them you'd need to upload the files to their account. There is no backup utility for cPanel for add-on domains so uploading the files, making the databases, emails ect. would need to be done.

So it might be easier to get themselves an account now if it's within a few months that'll want their own account with us. Right now we have a 50% off first payment coupon "newyear2009" which make make it an easier decision to do it now.

Thanks Tony!

Can you point me to more details about the newyear2009 promotion? I don't see any details of it on the HH main page where the Special Offers usually reside. If they buy a year up front, does that mean they'd get 50% off their total year's payment with that promo code?

Cheers,

Dave

That was a rather interesting question, Dave, and it piqued my curiosity. I didn't realize Tony had already answered. Anyways, I did a quick test and if a domain.com has been created as an addon, it will have an entry in the DNS server. Any attempt to create a new cpanel account with the same domain.com will give an error:

Account Creation Status: failed (Sorry, a DNS entry for domain.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster) )

Sorry, a DNS entry for domain.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)

Your head can stop spinning now. :)

Thanks Tony!

Can you point me to more details about the newyear2009 promotion? I don't see any details of it on the HH main page where the Special Offers usually reside. If they buy a year up front, does that mean they'd get 50% off their total year's payment with that promo code?

Cheers,

Dave

Not on the site right now and won't be. We're busy working on other things and getting our new site up. It's posted around the internet so I figured it was worth mentioning here.

What the coupon would provide is 50% off the first payment so the person could sign up for a year use the coupon and get 50% off the total price for the first year. Only works on the first payment so you get your most bang for your buck on the annual term but it can be used on any term.