Best time/method to change

hawkhawk

Long story short, ive been with HostPC for about 5 years. I have a personal, single page website that mainly friends and family use to see my stuff, plus I use my domain for email (Google Apps). Up until 2-3 mths ago, I havent had any real big issues with HostPC. Well, it turns out that HostPC changed owners and customer service has gone down the toilet. Their IRC channel doesnt exist anymore, live chat on the website doesnt work, their contacts page leads to a "parked" page, and they dont return my emails. I have my domain registered with Godaddy, so the other day I removed my HostPC nameservers and added Google Apps MX records to Godaddy so I can get my email back again. After all, my domain is mainly used for my personal email. I dont trust HostPC anymore so I dont plan on changing my nameservers back to them. I logged into my DirectAdmin panel and downloaded all of my data.

This brings me to Hawk Host. So far I like what I see and hear. What would be the best time/method to switch over my Godaddy settings to Hawk Host nameservers after I sign up? I am looking for the shortest amount of time to have my email (GoogleApps) down.

Thanks.

We're not ASO so I think you may have inquired with them as well? Regardless the best time is after you signup and receive your actual welcome e-mail with your account details. Most users make sure they upload their website prior to switching the DNS but that's up to you as there may be a slight delay with some ISPs during the DNS changes.

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with HostPC, I've noticed numerous complaints on WebHostingTalk in regards to them. It's a shame :(.

**EDIT**

I missed the Google Apps portion - once the account is setup submit a ticket to our support department stating you want to use Google Apps and we'll setup the DNS for you. At that point it would be best to switch the DNS over to us. Also for future reference our forums aren't an official support channel so they're not monitored for sales / support inquiries as much so for a faster turnaround on responses take a peak at our support system :).

Long story short, ive been with HostPC for about 5 years. I have a personal, single page website that mainly friends and family use to see my stuff, plus I use my domain for email (Google Apps). Up until 2-3 mths ago, I havent had any real big issues with HostPC. Well, it turns out that HostPC changed owners and customer service has gone down the toilet. Their IRC channel doesnt exist anymore, live chat on the website doesnt work, their contacts page leads to a "parked" page, and they dont return my emails. I have my domain registered with Godaddy, so the other day I removed my HostPC nameservers and added Google Apps MX records to Godaddy so I can get my email back again. After all, my domain is mainly used for my personal email. I dont trust HostPC anymore so I dont plan on changing my nameservers back to them. I logged into my DirectAdmin panel and downloaded all of my data.

This brings me to Hawk Host. So far I like what I see and hear. What would be the best time/method to switch over my Godaddy settings to Hawk Host nameservers after I sign up? I am looking for the shortest amount of time to have my email (GoogleApps) down.

Thanks.

I am a HostPC refugee as well. After I got my "all signed up" email, I set up the google apps email settings in cpanel, and then switched everything at GoDaddy. I didn't have any delay in the email as google was being pointed to for MX the entire time, either by the hostpc nameservers or the hawkhost ones.

I am a HostPC refugee as well.

So if you don't mind me asking, did you have the same experience the OP did regarding the decline in quality with HostPC or did you move for another reason? It really is a shame to see this with HostPC, they provided a really high quality experience for a long time.

So if you don't mind me asking, did you have the same experience the OP did regarding the decline in quality with HostPC or did you move for another reason? It really is a shame to see this with HostPC, they provided a really high quality experience for a long time.

I noticed the problems when they dropped EAS at the end of August. Joe doesn't seem to be involved any more, but there was no information forthcoming from them at all. If it is true that he sold the business, I hope he got paid well. He had a great operation, but now, not so much. My current contract was up for renewal in December, so I did some research and found you all. One month in, everything here seems great. Thanks.

Joining the "ex-HostPC" crew here. I was at Hostpc for 6+ years. I moved my site here last week. Everything is working GREAT. I did the DNS change on a Friday night, and everything was up and working fine with everyone getting DNS updates by Saturday afternoon.

HostPC went from a company that was very responsive with personal attention given to problems to a brick wall.

I'm sure several hosts are getting a few of the HostPc Refugees. I think there is a mass exodus taking place at HostPC.

As far as getting to HawkHost, I think price was very important, forums and reputation are important too. When searching for a host, I checked out what was being said on the forums before jumping in here. You should see what has been said over on HostPC's own forums... at least you can still see the messages from people that have not been banned and purged yet. The HostPC bunch was very active on the forums helping out each other with problems and communicating with Joe the admin at HostPC. I hope even more of them do transfer over here.... it is a good bunch of users. I would suggest it on HostPC forum, but that would probably get me banned at HostPC. (I'm still a user there... something about watching a ship go down...you just stand there and stare...still not believing it.)

Tom.

• 1 month later...

I hope even more of them do transfer over here.... it is a good bunch of users. I would suggest it on HostPC forum, but that would probably get me banned at HostPC. (I'm still a user there... something about watching a ship go down...you just stand there and stare...still not believing it.)

Saving those "good bunch of users" by telling them about Hawk Host is worth getting banned at the HostPC forum. You can give them hope and salvation.