system resources

neqn

I realize this is a long shot, but is there any way, on a shared hosting account, to get an idea of what type of system resources (memory, cpu, etc) your website is using?

I'd not be surprised that there isn't any way, but even on a command line via ssh? top, vmstat, with a particular option?

It would just be nice to be able to monitor these things and be proactive about it.

Just curious.

I asked a similar question to HawkHost and the answer is they can only give you these stats within the moment like your saying best to ask HawkHost support for this probably would get a faster answer that way. Unless your not a HawkHost customer.

A resource management system was implemented for Frog Host and I believe they plan to have the same feature on Hawk Host sometime in the future, hopefully not too distant. The resource usage is tracked for each cpanel account, which means it will not be possible to track for each website/domain if the cpanel account has more than one domain. You can view some examples of their CPU Usage Tracking.

Hope we get it as I would like to see those stats as well.

A resource management system was implemented for Frog Host and I believe they plan to have the same feature on Hawk Host sometime in the future, hopefully not too distant. The resource usage is tracked for each cpanel account, which means it will not be possible to track for each website/domain if the cpanel account has more than one domain. You can view some examples of their CPU Usage Tracking.

Hope we get it as I would like to see those stats as well.

Unlikely to see that variation of the Frog Host CPU tracking as we're looking at better technologies to control CPU. The current system just tracks it we want to be able to pro actively limit users using excessive CPU. So for example we cap all sites at 50% of a single CPU and someone spikes tries to use 100% of one. Their site would still load it would just load slightly slower as they're attempting to use much more CPU than allocated. Cloud Linux is one technology that allows use to do something like that. That example of the 50% is just that an example but it illustrates the idea. Excessive usage would slow down the person doing it rather than using an unfair amount of CPU for an extended period of time.

Unlikely to see that variation of the Frog Host CPU tracking as we're looking at better technologies to control CPU. The current system just tracks it we want to be able to pro actively limit users using excessive CPU. So for example we cap all sites at 50% of a single CPU and someone spikes tries to use 100% of one. Their site would still load it would just load slightly slower as they're attempting to use much more CPU than allocated. Cloud Linux is one technology that allows use to do something like that. That example of the 50% is just that an example but it illustrates the idea. Excessive usage would slow down the person doing it rather than using an unfair amount of CPU for an extended period of time.

I had the idea that cloud computing allows a website to use as much resources as needed and pay only for what we use. If a resource spike occurs, it'll be easy to increase its capacity.

Does CloudLinux provide options which allow us to decide whether our websites can use resources on a restricted or unrestricted basis? Restricted to mean the website will slow down under excessive usage, which may not be acceptable for some sites. Slow websites could mean losing customers.