Hosting Videos (MP4, FLV)

JojieRT

I've started to include videos (mp4 via slidepress/slideshowpro) in one of my blogs and I'm getting the impression that the server I'm on is not fast enough for a smooth user experience. Is this because I have a shared hosting account or is it the server I'm on?

George

Hi Tony, thanks for the quick response. I'm on the Mars server. Is there a particular server/location that has the rate of speed that would allow videos to be viewed with less pauses because the stream is not keeping up/ahead of the video playback? Thanks.

George

Hi Tony, thanks for the quick response. I'm on the Mars server. Is there a particular server/location that has the rate of speed that would allow videos to be viewed with less pauses because the stream is not keeping up/ahead of the video playback? Thanks.

George

It totally depends on the users location. Dallas is the most central so typically it provides the most consistent performance. I do know some ISP's were having routing issues to Dallas yesterday so if the problems happened then and hadn't before that would explain the issue.

That's good to hear. I was afraid that the webhosting accounts were not intended for videos as until latetly even I only had photos in my blog. With the purchase of a Canon 7D though, it's changing. :) I'm relieved as shopping for a good host is not fun to say the least and I have been really happy with HawkHost. Thanks.

George

I thought I would add a bit to this as I have recently been hosting videos too. I find the download speeds excellent and I'm in Australia. My videos are mp4s and typically about 12mb in size and 3-4 mins in length. They download much quicker than they play, faster than youtube imo. I did have some stuttering a couple of days ago (which was unusual) but it seems fine again now.

I do wonder if there is bandwidth cap that I should be aware of. If something went viral and 50 people stated downloading the video at the same time. Would it then start stuttering?

I like being in control of my vids, but of course it does eat into your bandwidth. I'm going to have upgrade my plan shortly.

That was my experience as well with the slowing down. It was a couple days or so ago that the speed was horrible hence I was concerned. It is streaming ahead of playback now. I am concerned with my bandwidth as well. I've never been close to my limit before, I believe, but that may change with the videos :)