OMG Cpanel is raising their prices, what we gonna do?

tekiegreg

Well me, I'm seeing the value of Cpanel less and  less upon doing this.  I'm debating a few actions at Hawkhost as this increase comes into effect:

1) For my personal account where I host with Hawkhost, I'm honestly debating going VPS and ditching  Cpanel.  Presumably the increase in prices as Cpanel may trickle down to me on a Shared plan.  Download a free hosting panel for my site and that's it.  May cost me more, but look at what I get for it comparatively.

2) For the one organization with a VPS whom I manage I'll be bringing this price increase with them and see what they think about a outward migration from Cpanel.

Either way Hawkhost has been awesome with me so I'll stick with you guys, Cpanel or otherwise :-) thanks!

We posted this yesterday which you may find worth the read: https://blog.hawkhost.com/2019/07/05/announced-cpanel-price-increase/

Long and short of it is right now we have no plans on raising pricing on shared/semi-dedicated hosting plans. Reseller packages unfortunately are likely to see price changes based on the new cPanel license structure and them billing per cPanel account but when that is finalized we'll post another update. Then lastly VPS / cloud server customers will be seeing an increase in the price of their cPanel licenses simply as a pass-through cost from cPanel. This is all still very new to us as well so we're not rushing into any decisions.

Yeah I caught that email, though not the part about individual plan prices, thanks for pointing that out.

I may still migrate my individual plan off anyways, just because.  Or I dunno if there's thinking about a "Cpanel Free" individual offering that's cheaper at Hawkhost that I might sign up for.

For the next month or 2 I'll see how this plays out then you may see me making some moves away from Cpanel.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, tekiegreg said:

Or I dunno if there's thinking about a "Cpanel Free" individual offering that's cheaper at Hawkhost that I might sign up for.

For VPS / cloud server clients we are in the process of researching other control panels, both paid and free options. Admittedly cPanel is the market leader in terms of usability/features/reliability but at a point it's hard to justify the costs if you only need basic functionality which some of the other panels out there can provide.

From what I understand, for shared hosting, each cpanel license (or sub-license) will be charged
around $0.10 - $0.20/month going forward, assuming servers which typically host several hundred domains,
are over any pre-packaged limits.  Since that is $1.20 - $2.40 per year, it does not represent a huge
increase for each one.  It's up to HawkHost, given the ultra-competitive nature of the hosting business,
if they want to bear that cost, pass it along to all customers, or only charge it on new accounts. 

In aggregate, it will matter more to Hosts than to customers who would see a charge of
$25-50 per year go up by a dollar or two.  Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated hosting accounts are another
matter altogether, since that dollar or two can have a significant multiplier on it.