Cloub Web Hosting vs Cloud Server Hosting

Wharfe

Hello!

I understand fundamentally the differences between these two services, specifically regarding root access, managing the cloud server on your own, etc.

Wondering if there's any real performance difference?

I signed up for the cloud server hosting before the actual "cloud web hosting" was available, but don't really need root access or WHM. In fact, I'd prefer some of the hosting features HawkHost provides like SpamExperts and backups. And the cost is better. Plain old cPanel access is just fine for me.

I have the 4GB Cloud Server plan which includes 4GB of Ram and 2 CPUs. Would there be a noticeable performance difference between this and the cloud web hosting service? I use about 50GB of bandwidth per month, nothing too intensive.

Thanks!

The Hawkhost people can probably best answer your question, but I'll take a stab at it.

My understanding is the both of these services are based on "cloud infrastructure" (which I gather
is some sort of distributed hardware platform with redundancy and scalability). Whatever it means,
it's transparent to the user.

For both services you are sharing that hardware infrastructure with other hosted sites.

The cloud server is like a VPS - and perhaps gives you a bigger share of the hardware pie (so to speak).

4 GB and 2 (virtual) CPUs seems fairly hefty to me, and whether you need all that depends entirely
on what your site consists of and what it does.

The bandwidth number (50GB/month) strikes me as rather high:
I have a couple of rather modest sites which get much less traffic than that,
and which shared hosting handles with ease:

Site 1: ~5000 visits/month - 200 MB/month bandwidth
Site 2: ~1800 visits/month - 800 MB/month bandwidth

You are talking about 70-250 times as much traffic, based on your bandwidth estimate.

But ... depending what goes along with it, that may not be an issue.

There is another option you have: what Hawkhost calls "Semi-dedicated Hosting".
Basically, it's shared hosting with more resources (and less sharing with other sites).
It costs a lot more than regular shared hosting, but it might serve your needs
in terms of horsepower, combined with the convenience of shared hosting.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:55 AM, Wharfe said:

Wondering if there's any real performance difference?

This primarily depends on your sites traffic and resource requirements that you're hosting but without getting into specifics of your account the cloud servers will give you the potential for higher performance than being on cloud shared hosting. The main reason behind that is with full root access (and therefore the ability to modify the system however you choose) you can optimize the server specific to your sites / applications. That includes MySQL / webserver optimizations, installing custom software such as nginx for caching, or any other suggestions your developer/software maintainers may suggest. Cloud servers can also scale as needed so you can upgrade with the click of a button and double/triple your resources.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:55 AM, Wharfe said:

Would there be a noticeable performance difference between this and the cloud web hosting service?

This all depends on the resources your sites are currently using. The cloud web hosting plans come with 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, 5Mb/s disk IO, and 7 PHP processes. If your current usage at peak times is below that then you would not see a performance difference switching platforms. If you need more resources then your site would likely slow down once you start hitting any of those limits.

If you want I can take a look at your usage and give a more detailed answer based on your specific services. If you'd like that please submit a ticket through https://my.hawkhost.com/submitticket.php while referencing this thread and ask for the ticket to be added to my (Brian F.) queue. I'll login to your server and we'll see if it's possible to safely move you onto our cloud web hosting platform.

Thanks all.

I'm much more familiar with cPanel than WHM - I hired someone to setup/make changes to the cloud server once I moved to that.

But even just now since you mentioned usage, I was able to check resources and it's already sitting at over 1GB of ram used of my 4GB total. I think it makes sense to stay as-is on the server plan!

On 2/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, Wharfe said:

Thanks all.

I'm much more familiar with cPanel than WHM - I hired someone to setup/make changes to the cloud server once I moved to that.

But even just now since you mentioned usage, I was able to check resources and it's already sitting at over 1GB of ram used of my 4GB total. I think it makes sense to stay as-is on the server plan!

One thing to keep in mind is Linux will "allocate" memory and put it in cache to be used for programs/processes, so your control panel in the client area would show this memory as "used" when in reality it's only allocated but not actually in use by an active process. This helps performance quite a bit, however if you ever wanted to get an idea of your real/actual memory usage you'd be best to SSH into the server and use either the top -c or free -m command to get that output.