When do you backup your website?

Timeless

First post here. Been with HawkHost since Nov of last year, so fairly new, but I know of them, and heard many great things about them over on WHT. Hi all! :P

Just a bit of a maintenance. question for you all - I download a backup a few times a month, I put calendar reminders to remind me to do it. If I've made a significant change to my website, and I am a happy with it, I'll usually go right ahead and backup right there and then.

That's a really good approach to take! We do take backups of all customer accounts (files, databases, emails, etc.) once per day and store them for 7 days but there are times where those backups aren't available, so we urge clients to keep their own regular offsite backups. The amount of time it takes to download regular backups is nothing compared to the time it may take to repair a corrupt site manually or to try and rebuild it from scratch if you don't have a recent backup!

10 hours ago, Brian said:

there are times where those backups aren't available,

Can you elaborate on that a little?

Does that mean "the backups exist, but there might be a delay in using them"

OR, more ominously

"sometimes the backup process fails and there are no backups for a certain time in the past" ?

If there are daily backups kept for 7 days, then there should be 7 fairly recent backups,
and it would seem that no matter what, even if there is some problem, some of them
should always be available.  That may not be good enough for some, but it is better
than nothing in any case!

13 hours ago, tgonhawk1 said:

Can you elaborate on that a little?

Does that mean "the backups exist, but there might be a delay in using them"

OR, more ominously

"sometimes the backup process fails and there are no backups for a certain time in the past" ?

The backup processes do fail at times. Usually when it happens we only lose 1 or 2 days so the most recent backups may not be available but older backups would be available. There are scenarios in which we're unable to take backups for extended periods of time (7+ days) on individual servers and while it's very rare it does happen which is why we urge clients to keep their own backups.