Automatic backups to email

harmor

I'm no expert on emailing it to yourself but I believe you'd have to make a php or perl script to do it. Dumping the database to the home folder be easy as that could be done entirely from the command line so entirely cron. The email portion is where I think you'd need php or perl.

I'm no expert on emailing it to yourself but I believe you'd have to make a php or perl script to do it. Dumping the database to the home folder be easy as that could be done entirely from the command line so entirely cron. The email portion is where I think you'd need php or perl.

I guess I'll have to search the web some more.

The reason why I don't want the backup to be placed on the server is because there's no point. If Hawk Host's servers ever crash I'd lose by backup so emailing it to my gmail account would be the best method.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I'll have to search the web some more.

The reason why I don't want the backup to be placed on the server is because there's no point. If Hawk Host's servers ever crash I'd lose by backup so emailing it to my gmail account would be the best method.

You're absolutely right, but in some sense we do this for you. Every night we make a full backup of everyones files to a remote machine - which means there's not a single point of failure (if the server you were on died, your data would still remain).

Beyond that since all of the servers run RAID-10 we have several layers of redundancy regarding data - allowing us to confidently say your data is pretty safe :)