help setting up subdomain

canadave

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to all this stuff, so please bear with me :) Two questions:

First, I'm trying to set up a subdomain, which I've never done before (because my previous host never allowed it!). I have a site at www.infinitives.ca/LTC. Note the capital letters...I'd like it to remain that way because it's an abbreviation.

So what I'd like to do is have a subdomain, LTC.infinitives.ca. Is that possible? If so, how do I do that? When I try creating it, it creates a separate folder called "ltc" in my public_html folder, not "LTC".

I thought capital letters were allowed in subdomains?

Second: How would I go about setting up a phpbb forum in a subfolder of public_html using Fantastico? I see how to set it up in the main directory easily enough, but I can't figure out how to set up the forum in a subfolder.

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by canadave

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to all this stuff, so please bear with me :) Two questions:

First, I'm trying to set up a subdomain, which I've never done before (because my previous host never allowed it!). I have a site at www.infinitives.ca/LTC. Note the capital letters...I'd like it to remain that way because it's an abbreviation.

So what I'd like to do is have a subdomain, LTC.infinitives.ca. Is that possible? If so, how do I do that? When I try creating it, it creates a separate folder called "ltc" in my public_html folder, not "LTC".

I thought capital letters were allowed in subdomains?

The big reason for this is subdomains are not case sensitive all browsers will lower case it all. So by default cPanel will then set it that way. As far as the document root it makes a suggested document root but that does not mean it has to be that. You can specify what you want it to be. I'm not sure if you did that or not when I tried it on a test account it allowed different case. I'd need to take a closer look at this to determine what is going on and that would require a ticket.

Second: How would I go about setting up a phpbb forum in a subfolder of public_html using Fantastico? I see how to set it up in the main directory easily enough, but I can't figure out how to set up the forum in a subfolder.

Thanks!

Dave

For different folders all you need to do is switch the "Install in directory". By default it uses your public_html folder but you can specify any folder. For example if you wanted it to go into the directory forum then you'd put the install directory as forum.

For different folders all you need to do is switch the "Install in directory". By default it uses your public_html folder but you can specify any folder. For example if you wanted it to go into the directory forum then you'd put the install directory as forum.

Thanks Tony for your response. I'll open a ticket for the subdomain issue if I still have trouble with it.

As for the forum, I was indeed aware that the install directory can be changed. The problem is, it doesn't seem to allow subfolders or subdomains to be selected as a target.

For instance, let's say I have a subdomain folder sitting inside my public_html folder, with the name "ltc". So my subdomain's address is "ltc.mydomain.ca". If I want to create a phpBB forum so that people can visit it at "ltc.mydomain.ca/forum", I can't seem to use Fantastico to specify an installation destination of "ltc/forum".

Am I making sense? :)

Thanks,

Dave

Ah...that was the missing piece of info in my brain :) The light bulb just went on.

Yep, that works fine Tony....thanks. I was thinking of the subdomain as a folder off the main public_html directory, and I was too thick to realize that the subdomain dropdown itself functioned as a root. My bad....

My only defence is that I never got to play with any of this stuff before, as my previous host never allowed any of this! :)

Now I'm off to figure out why my phpBB restore isn't working (well, it says it restored successfuly, but when I look at the new forum it doesn't show any of my old users, forums, or anything). But I suspect that's a problem on the backup side...I'll just have to work on it.

Thanks again--

Dave

Now I'm off to figure out why my phpBB restore isn't working (well, it says it restored successfuly, but when I look at the new forum it doesn't show any of my old users, forums, or anything). But I suspect that's a problem on the backup side...I'll just have to work on it.

Make sure the versions match between the backup and the installed phpbb.

Also it could very well be causing a false positive in mod_security. So if you cannot figure it out then I'd make a ticket it may be looking like a SQL injection which would cause it to not work. Unlikely but I've seen scripts do strange things which look exactly like 99.9% of sql injections look like.