Mirage server was blacklisted

norEastern

One of the clients under my reseller account on Mirage had several emails sent through the server (SMTP) bounce back from Hotmail destinations. The Microsoft error code in the bounces translated to

Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation.

I ran the Mirage email IP through a blacklist checker and found it listed on no-more-funn.moensted.dk, certainly not a major blacklist. This service seems more concerned about the reverse DNS reported by Mirage than any actual spam:

Resolved 208.101.30.164 to mirage.arandomserver.com.

mirage.arandomserver.com. has no MX records -> [arandomserver.com has 1 MX record arandomserver.com.(0)]

208.101.30.164 was found in NOMOREFUNN!

no-more-funn.moensted.dk -> 127.0.0.3

5-static.reverse.softlayer.com. Dynamic IP or generic rDNS. Use your ISPs mail service, or whitelist at: http://moensted.dk/spam/no-more-funn/?addr=208.101.30.164 1165832730 (Mon Dec 11 11:25:30 2006) #

This ip is as a part of a listed netblock. This do NOT indicate that we think YOU are a spammer.This indicate that we in general don't trust your ISP/Contry/Connection type. However if you click "Whitelist/Exclude IP" your host will be automaticaly removed.

Remember that if we receive spam from your mail server it will get listed again, so please do not spam.

I did request the Whitelist, and hopefully this service won't mark Mirage again.

One of the clients under my reseller account on Mirage had several emails sent through the server (SMTP) bounce back from Hotmail destinations. The Microsoft error code in the bounces translated to

I ran the Mirage email IP through a blacklist checker and found it listed on no-more-funn.moensted.dk, certainly not a major blacklist. This service seems more concerned about the reverse DNS reported by Mirage than any actual spam:

I did request the Whitelist, and hopefully this service won't mark Mirage again.

I would simply ignore blacklists such as this - it appears to be nothing but a random operator that takes results from other DNSBL's and such. In the future please contact us to get the IP removed and don't do it on our behalf as without a doubt it stated that you must be the owner / operator of the IP in question.

That Mirage block if you look at the date of it: "Mon Dec 11 11:25:30 2006" seems strange for a blocklist to have a listing from almost 4 years ago and it's for a generic rDNS. Well our rDNS isn't even generic they just haven't updated in 4 years.

As for hotmail block we're looking into it we think they blocked at least a /24 maybe larger. The reason being we have servers with no mail even sent from them now blocked by hotmail. So something isn't right there.

Thanks for looking into this. Seems like everyone is so sensitive to spam that some blacklists operate as "guilty until proven innocent".

I much prefer clients send email via their local ISP, but some customers roam enough that they do all SMTP via their website server and are in a jam if it gets blacklisted.