Why am I charged more than the invoice says?

Gmaper

I just renewed for another year. The invoice said the charge was $39.48. However besides the $39.48 there was an additional charge of $.32 against my card as a separate transaction. I see no disclosure about this additional charge. What is it? Why was it charged? Why was I not told that the actual charge was to be $39.80 not $39.48 as was stated on the invoice?

The invoice # is 31006.

I look forward to a positive answer because I have been very pleased with HawkHost for the past year and I will be most disappointed if I find out that you have sloppy billing practices.

This isn't a charge from Hawk Host but your banking institution. Since Hawk Host is based in Canada some banks consider it "foreign" and charge a "Foreign Transaction Fee" (https://support.hawkhost.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=95). Unfortunately this is out of our hands and is at the discretion of your bank.

This isn't a charge from Hawk Host but your banking institution. Since Hawk Host is based in Canada some banks consider it "foreign" and charge a "Foreign Transaction Fee" (https://support.hawkhost.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=95). Unfortunately this is out of our hands and is at the discretion of your bank.

Thanks for the quick reply, Cody.

Two thoughts about your response.

1. Why don't you have some U. S. based money handler? I assume that you have many customers in the U. S. Maybe even more than in Canada.

2. Your invoice/billing system should advise customers that your billing is in Canada and therefore there may be additional charges from your financial institution.

Thanks for the quick reply, Cody.

Two thoughts about your response.

1. Why don't you have some U. S. based money handler? I assume that you have many customers in the U. S. Maybe even more than in Canada.

2. Your invoice/billing system should advise customers that your billing is in Canada and therefore there may be additional charges from your financial institution.

1. We do offer Paypal as an option which will take credit cards as well. As far as customers we have them all over the world so there is no real way for us to win in a situation like this. We suddenly cater to people in the US then people will want us to do the same for their country. It would increase our costs and thus our prices would go up to reflect that.

2. While it be nice it's not something I think it be wise for us to do from a business standpoint. Some banks charge this others do not and it varies by credit card as well. We'd lose potential customers as a result of a fee not assessed by us which may not even apply to the user. Also would confuse foreign customers who don't have such a fee or it's wrapped up in the exchange rate of their currency. So for us I don't think it be smart to scare away customers over this issue which does not apply to most people (I'm counting users from all countries)

I don't think there is a good solution for us :(