PHP 5.2.11

Hikari

I noted PHP on mars is still 5.2.11. Do you plan updating it to 5.2.13 in the near future? Why wasn't it updated yet?

Yes we do intend on doing it soon however since we're in a shared environment we have to do upgrades a bit slower to make sure there aren't any bugs / computability issues which could break users scripts. PHP is slated to be upgrades soon :)

I noted PHP on mars is still 5.2.11. Do you plan updating it to 5.2.13 in the near future? Why wasn't it updated yet?

There are bugs with PHP 5.2.12 and PHP 5.2.13 that on servers that are running those have caused issues for our users. So we're trying to figure out how we're going to address that problem on current machines seeing as how PHP crashing for users is not a good thing.

PHP on mars is still 5.2.11. Do you plan updating it to 5.2.13 in the near future?

Is there any noticeable functional difference between these two versions of PHP?

As for me, I completely share Cody's opinion regarding the "test period" for new software releases.

This is a good practice and I see absolutely no reason for the rush here :)

One of the bugs we started seeing as of PHP 5.2.13: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=51265 . This is not the first time there were crashes in PCRE either: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=39016 . There were some users using certain versions of wordpress that every time they visited a page PHP crashed. So tough to say lets run PHP 5.2.13 when a good chunk of users are using wordpress. Although after a while some users using newer versions of plugins and wordpress stopped getting it. So it's a difficult thing to deal with here damned if you do damned if you don't.

Shared hostings have a hard time defining which PHP version to use. There are a lot of apps working on it, some running latest version that may even require PHP 5.3 and some that didn't update for long time and require older PHP.

I've seen 3 or 4 users of my Wordpress plugins having trouble because they still used PHP4, ZOMG!

But I didn't know subversions that were meant just to bugfix main versions also had problems... with bugs!