cPanel 2-Step Verification

Joe.

Not sure if this possible or not, but wouldn't it be a good idea to offer a 2-Step Verification for the cPanel login page?

What do you think? Seems like its becoming more and more popular with pretty much anything that requires a login.

Take a look at http://features.cpanel.net/responses/two-factor-authentication-is-a-must

Long and short of it is they're well aware of the request, they'd be pretty out of touch if they hadn't at least discussed/considered supporting 2 factor authentication. There are some free/public modules you can install (as the root user) to implement this for WHM but nothing natively supported (as of yet).

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see full 2 factor support by the end of the year, if not sooner. Much to cPanels credit they've been implementing a lot more feature requests lately, their releases are more frequent, and are also full of new features, especially with a focus on security.

Not sure if this possible or not, but wouldn't it be a good idea to offer a 2-Step Verification for the cPanel login page?

What do you think? Seems like its becoming more and more popular with pretty much anything that requires a login.

Take a look at http://features.cpanel.net/responses/two-factor-authentication-is-a-must

Long and short of it is they're well aware of the request, they'd be pretty out of touch if they hadn't at least discussed/considered supporting 2 factor authentication. There are some free/public modules you can install (as the root user) to implement this for WHM but nothing natively supported (as of yet).

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see full 2 factor support by the end of the year, if not sooner. Much to cPanels credit they've been implementing a lot more feature requests lately, their releases are more frequent, and are also full of new features, especially with a focus on security.

We've been curious about this for awhile / numerous people have inquired to cPanel about it as Brian mentioned. I've tried to implement my own using Authy and their authentication API however I didn't have too much success. One big feature request that's pending which will make this much easier is once they start using PAM for some things.

It's worth noting that it's easier said than done - a cPanel server has numerous services running: FTP, cPanel, WHM, SSH, Mail, etc. These won't all be covered by 2-factor easily. Even if they protected the cPanel / WHM logins you have to worry about the API.

Hopefully they do something sooner than later though!