Cpanel Encoding

When I highlight a file in file manager and click EDIT the TEXT EDITOR POP-UP WINDOW appears.

The encoding type drop-down menu is "prepopulated" with US-ASCII.

Anyone know how I get that encoding type drop-down menu to be "prepopulated" with ISO-8859-1 instead?

Where do I change those settings?

I think I might have figured something out with this. When you click the edit button it always defaults to "US-ASCII" but when you right click on the file then select edit in that popup window it'll select the encoding type the file was saved as if it can properly detect it.

Very confusing there are several popups in this system. If you made a ticket it be best to make a screen shot of it to clarify which you're talking about. Otherwise depending on the person they could test it and say yes it works. Then you'll say no it doesn't as both people selected the editor differently.

Thankyou for looking into it.

I can not duplicate your results in my preferred Opera browser. I may try in Firefox.

Some time ago, before I had a website hosted with Hawkhost, there was some kind of Cpanel upgrade. Before the upgrade, if I recall correctly, I did not get that Cpanel Text Editor pop-up at all.

Immediately after the upgrade the Cpanel Text Editor pop-up became active. HOWEVER, the default in the Cpanel Text Editor drop-down menu for the encoding type was, at first, ISO-8859-1. Maybe it was the default because that was the encoding type of all my files.

Anyway, that darned Cpanel Text Editor pop-up, for me, wastes so much time that I began to think more and more about disabling it.

Well, I made the mistake of calling customer support for my hosting provider at the time and asking them if I would be able to "re-enable" that Cpanel Text Editor pop-up, in the exact same configuration, if I disabled it. That hosting provider said, oh sure you can "re-enable" it and it will work the same way.

Unfortunately, I listened to them. I disabled the Cpanel Text Editor and, to my recollection, found that, in its absence, the character encoding for my files was US-ASCII. I then "re-enabled" Cpanel Text Editor and, unfortunately, found that the drop down menu was now "pre-populated" with US-ASCII.

I explained to that former hosting provider that Cpanel Text Editor "pre-populated" with ISO-8859-1 before I simply turned it off and turned it back on. ...to no avail.

Anyway, Cpanel documentation is horrible. While I was trying to fix this issue back then I found glaringly obvious mistakes in the Cpanel documentation and pointed them out to customer support of the host I was with then. Unless Cpanel documentation has changed since that time it is, to me, mostly not even worth looking at. I literally spent several hours on more than one occasion reading Cpanel documentation back then...I ended up needing thera** after the ordeal.

I am sure Cpanel has, programmed in, a simple way of doing just what I am asking. Afterall, the encoding default was that way before I turned Cpanel Text Editor off then back on. Unfortunately, Cpanel documentation is so bad that I doubt if the proper instructions for setting that encoding default ever made it into the documentation.

I will probably, at some point, start looking for Cpanel forums, or something.

Don't spend a lot of time on this for me Tony. The solution has evaded me all of this time and will probably not be any more forthcoming with you.

Filezilla allows you to edit files on the server and upload them again if my memory serves me right. You click edit on it and then it downloads it and opens it based on the preferred application for that extension in it's settings. So you could instantly see the changes still then without much hassle.

Good answer.

I never knew that.

I was never really aware of that Tony.

Actually I already tried it. Will need to investigate more before I know if it is on a par with the Cpanel text editor method.

I think I may be a little deficient, compared to most webmasters, with regard to upload speed. I am usually running somewhere over 200 Kb/s. Right now I am 233 Kb/s. I am somewhat anxious to see if editing in Filezilla this way is slow due, especially, to my upload speed.

I am usually running more than one monitor. I think that configuration would lend itself well to the Filezilla method.

currently

1155 Kb/s down

233 Kb/s up

117ms latency

Edited by 32209

Filezilla allows you to edit files on the server and upload them again.... ...instantly see the changes still then without much hassle.

Thanks again for that advice Tony.

I have used the Filezilla method you explained on a few files. So far I think it works very well and the speed might be significantly faster than Cpanel's Text Editor.

Tony that advice definitely helped me. A LOT.

It appears Hawkhost has made some modifications that affect this Cpanel issue positively. The text editor pop-up now gets bypassed and the Cpanel editing page opens immediately. On the editing page the encoding is, unfortunately, prepopulated with US-ASCII instead of ISO-8859-1.

However, the modifications are, to me, a significant time savings over the text editor pop-up because now I only need to change the encoding type on the editing page instead of going through the additional "clicks" that, previously, it took me to get rid of the text editor pop-up.

The Cpanel text editor pop-up is an issue that has persisted, beginning at the previous hosting company that I used for this particular site. The problem started at my previous host and I needed Hawkhost to migrate my entire site using the full backup I made at my previous host, so, it makes sense to me that the issue would continue to manifest.

Although the CPanel issue was not the primary reason I stopped using the previous hosting company that previous hosting company did not even try to fix the problem, even though I asked numerous times.

Hawkhost has made a significant, positive, change with regard to the issue the 1st time I made a support ticket about it.

Thanks for making those modifications even though the issue is a BUG in Cpanel and not Hawkhost.

Now, however, thanks to Tony's advice I am no longer dependent on using Cpanel as a text editor.

:eek: Come on Tony you guys must have changed something. The issue has been present since, as I explained, before I moved that site from the old host I used to Hawkhost.

I have not "fiddled" with any settings trying to resolve that issue since before I stopped using the previous host for that site. I learned back then that there was nothing available in any Cpanel settings I can see that would resolve the issue. I just finally got bothered enough to ask you guys if you could do anything.

I can not escape the conclusion that you are "pulling my leg".:D

Anyway, the issue has been positively affected by whatever modifications were made by :confused:...

I am pretty sure you clicked the button that disables it. Here's what the popup says:

"If encodings are not important to you because you will only be working with english or other western languages you can disable this dialog by clicking here: "

That disables that popup when clicking the edit button. You can also get around that popup by right clicking on the file and clicking edit in the menu it brings up.

• 1 month later...

I use WHM and have a client that lost access to cpanel because the sites owner an organization turned over the management of the site to a new person. The previous person never used the site so he forgot the password to get into cpanel and ftp. I can login to the site using my WHM password, but I cannot change his password in cpanel because I dont know the old one. How can reset it?

I use WHM and have a client that lost access to cpanel because the sites owner an organization turned over the management of the site to a new person. The previous person never used the site so he forgot the password to get into cpanel and ftp. I can login to the site using my WHM password, but I cannot change his password in cpanel because I dont know the old one. How can reset it?

You can change the password of their account through WHM. There is a password modification option which lets you select an account and change their password.