Did you know that you may not be getting all emails sent to you?

deeve007

Something I found out recently when questioning why emails from certain well known websites weren't getting through to me: If the email uses an email address that doesn't exist (a common example is "[email protected]" for newsletters and some account registration emails) then Hawkhost's servers will refuse to accept that email.

I'm now waiting to see if there's anyway to ensure I receive all emails sent to me, as it leaves me uncertain if I'm missing anything important. Well, I know I am when I couldn't register for a well known site due to their account confirmation email using this kind of email address.

Now I understand the desire to want to reduce spam, but when it's affecting actual and possible legitimate emails then there's an issue that needs to be addressed.

D.

Something I found out recently when questioning why emails from certain well known websites weren't getting through to me: If the email uses an email address that doesn't exist (a common example is "[email protected]" for newsletters and some account registration emails) then Hawkhost's servers will refuse to accept that email.

I'm now waiting to see if there's anyway to ensure I receive all emails sent to me, as it leaves me uncertain if I'm missing anything important. Well, I know I am when I couldn't register for a well known site due to their account confirmation email using this kind of email address.

Now I understand the desire to want to reduce spam, but when it's affecting actual and possible legitimate emails then there's an issue that needs to be addressed.

D.

Hello,

This is called sender verification and it's standard across most mail deployments as well as shared hosts. It significantly reduces SPAM and unfortunately it wouldn't be an option to disable it. It may be worth noting it's proper procedure to ensure there is an MX entry for the sending domain regardless if it's an intended to ever received email.

• 1 month later...

This maybe why I never received this forum's email validation email. I know after I created the account on here, I tried to to adjust my profile settings and it said that I needed to wait for the email validation, or I could contact the Administrator. And upon clicking the "Contact Administrator" I did notice that the mailto email was a [email protected]

This seems unusual, so I did a few test registrations using both a hawkhost.com email along with a gmail.com email address and both accounts received the approval without an issue. If you don't mind my asking what email provider are you using?

We'll also see about having that [email protected] email address changed to something valid in the event someone needs to contact us. Thank you for pointing that out.