(Workaround) Simple Machines Forum - Package Upload Error

Shane74340

I have installed the Simple Machines Forum (SMF) at http://mariokartcommunity.com/home and am having problems uploading packages (mods).

I keep getting this error:

" Package upload failed due to the following error:

"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:

1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.

2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".

3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.

4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF." "

This is the second install of SMF I have tried to upload a mod onto.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I have found a workaround. I can upload the mod files (ex: EzPortal) into the "EzPortal" sub-directory I created in the "Packages" directory, and then I can install the mod. Don't know why I can't upload the mods directly.

First make sure your Packages folder (found in FTP) and its contents are chmodded to 777. If that doesn't work create the "temp" folder under "Packages" and chmod that to 777.

Tried CHMOD'ing the packages folder to 777 and uploading a mod didn't work. I then created a "temp" folder and CHMOD'ed that to 777, and uploading didn't work. Same error message.

Glad I have a workaround. Any other suggestions welcome.

First make sure your Packages folder (found in FTP) and its contents are chmodded to 777. If that doesn't work create the "temp" folder under "Packages" and chmod that to 777.

This isn't needed in most web setups nowadays. This was only needed when PHP ran as a generic user and needed to write to a folder. Our PHP setup allows the PHP processes to run as your user so normal permissions are all that is required (644 for files, 755 for folders). Using 777 permissions is a security risk as it would allow anyone to write to that folder.

Tried CHMOD'ing the packages folder to 777 and uploading a mod didn't work. I then created a "temp" folder and CHMOD'ed that to 777, and uploading didn't work. Same error message.

Glad I have a workaround. Any other suggestions welcome.

I'd suggest submitting a ticket and providing us a way to duplicate this issue so we can see what's happening. It's unlikely it's a permissions issue.