Pointing NS domain to Hawk Host without breaking email

someguy03

My work wants to point a domain name they have on Network Solutions to my Hawk Host account.

I've done this many times before but I am in a new situation where they use Network Solutions for 40 or so email accounts associated with the domain name and want to maintain this. Based on what I read it sounds like changing the DNS records as normal would point the email to my Hawk Host server and break everyones email. How can I point their NS domain to my Hawk Host account while keeping the email on NS?

If I can get this sorted out I plan on upgrading my shared account to a VPS to support all the traffic (I'm already at 97% of my allotted disk space anyways), so there is something in it for you guys :)

Thanks!

My work wants to point a domain name they have on Network Solutions to my Hawk Host account.

I've done this many times before but I am in a new situation where they use Network Solutions for 40 or so email accounts associated with the domain name and want to maintain this. Based on what I read it sounds like changing the DNS records as normal would point the email to my Hawkhost server and break everyones email. How can I point their NS domain to my Hawk Host account while keeping the email on NS?

If I can get this sorted out I plan on upgrading my shared account to a VPS, so there is something in it for you guys :)

Thanks!

You have a couple of options. You can point the name servers to ours and then change the MX records on our end to point to Network Solutions e-mail servers.

Alternatively you can just add the DNS records manually on Network Solutions end and keep the DNS control over there.

If I point the name server to HH and then point the MX records back to Network Solutions will there be a down time on the email? The company pushes probably atleast 2000 emails a day so I'd have to make sure I did it in the middle of the night if a 2 hour downtime is the case.

Thanks!

(EDIT: I'll just contact support, but I feel like the down time question could be good for reference!)

As long as your MX records are pointing to the same email servers in both DNS zones, you shouldn't lose any emails once you change the nameservers over. As Cody said though you could also just point an A record to our servers and keep the DNS hosted at Network Solutions, that way you don't run any risk of losing emails at all.