Very Quick Subdomain Question

Terrian

I read several posts on subdomain roots but didn't understand the answers. In short, I have a main domain, and one subdomain, which was created under /public_html/subdomain

I just added a second subdoman, which was added under root...  /my2ndsubdomain

Does this mean the new subdomain is not public and won't be seen on the Web? I only purchased the domain to use for mail, so it actually doesn't need a Web presence, but I do need to make sure it will work for mail. Is it ok as is? Thank you!

The short answer is the new subdomain will be seen on the web and it'll work fine.  The long explanation is:

The idea of a public_html folder is really an old way of thinking.  The web server is capable of showing a site regardless of the folder it is in.  As a result of this cPanel now automatically places any new subdomains/addon domains below your public_html folder.  It allows for easier organization and makes so you don't have a case of the content of one subdomain/domain loading from the primary domain of the account also.  You can also be even more flexible and do things like:

blogs/domain.com
blogs/domain2.com
forums/domain.com
forums/domain2.com

Thank you so very much! That was an explanation I could understand! And I already have mail working. One last question... since I don't need a web presence for this site, it is required I throw up an index page, or do I not need to bother? Thank you again!