Superlative Support

elescondite

I have been a developer for many, many years and have been with just about every company imaginable. I have to say, Hawk Host is the best experience yet.

This morning, I ran across an issue that, while important to me, was in no way, shape or form Hawk Host's problem or responsibility. I posted a support ticket on the off chance their was some way we could work around the problem, but really didn't expect that there was much we could do.

Within minutes, Tony made some suggestions and implemented them.

Problem solved.

To say that I am impressed is an understatement.

I have been a developer for many, many years and have been with just about every company imaginable. I have to say, Hawk Host is the best experience yet.

This morning, I ran across an issue that, while important to me, was in no way, shape or form Hawk Host's problem or responsibility. I posted a support ticket on the off chance their was some way we could work around the problem, but really didn't expect that there was much we could do.

Within minutes, Tony made some suggestions and implemented them.

Problem solved.

To say that I am impressed is an understatement.

Good to hear! Care sharing exactly what the issue was? Some people may benefit from it :)

Yeah I agree the best thing about them is their support. You would not be able to see any other host which would answer to your tickets or to any server incident faster than hawkhost.

While you can't possibly have 100% uptime anywhere- hawkhost would let you in the loop at what's happening with your hosting by the moment- not unlike any other host which would give alibis to look good.

I salute hawkhost for this!

Good to hear! Care sharing exactly what the issue was? Some people may benefit from it :)

Of course.

I have been doing some SQL development that relies heavily on triggers. Through an oversight on my part, it didn't register with me that Hawk Host has MySQL 5.0.x installed, whereas I develop locally on 5.1.x. When moving a DB to my account, all CREATE TRIGGER statements would fail under 5.0 as MySQL required SUPER privilege up until 5.1 (brain dead, but that's life). Obviously, granting SUPER privilege on a shared server is out of the question. (As of 5.1, a new TRIGGER priv is available).

I really really really did not want to implement the trigger logic on the client side, so I fired off a ticket to support on the off chance they could suggest something. I didn't expect much and was about the move the DB to another server I have.

Tony got back to me (within minutes) with the idea of moving the account to the one server that is running 5.1, but I was reluctant to ask for it as it involved work for HH that really wasn't their problem anyway. Regardless, Tony went ahead and did it, preserving the account on the old server until the changes propagated.

The reason I am impressed is that I didn't receive the stock response "we run 5.0. You are S.O.L."

Running shared servers is hard. Keeping a stable platform is hard. Making necessary upgrades without breaking everything is hard. Telling users to suck it up and tough it out when they can't have their WhizBang 9.0 application is hard. I know, I used to do it back in the dial-up days (when 2400 was the norm and 9600 was blazing fast).

Of course.

I have been doing some SQL development that relies heavily on triggers. Through an oversight on my part, it didn't register with me that Hawk Host has MySQL 5.0.x installed, whereas I develop locally on 5.1.x. When moving a DB to my account, all CREATE TRIGGER statements would fail under 5.0 as MySQL required SUPER privilege up until 5.1 (brain dead, but that's life). Obviously, granting SUPER privilege on a shared server is out of the question. (As of 5.1, a new TRIGGER priv is available).

I really really really did not want to implement the trigger logic on the client side, so I fired off a ticket to support on the off chance they could suggest something. I didn't expect much and was about the move the DB to another server I have.

Tony got back to me (within minutes) with the idea of moving the account to the one server that is running 5.1, but I was reluctant to ask for it as it involved work for HH that really wasn't their problem anyway. Regardless, Tony went ahead and did it, preserving the account on the old server until the changes propagated.

The reason I am impressed is that I didn't receive the stock response "we run 5.0. You are S.O.L."

Running shared servers is hard. Keeping a stable platform is hard. Making necessary upgrades without breaking everything is hard. Telling users to suck it up and tough it out when they can't have their WhizBang 9.0 application is hard. I know, I used to do it back in the dial-up days (when 2400 was the norm and 9600 was blazing fast).

Baud! Good to hear what the issue was, I recall seeing the ticket. The only reason we were running 5.0 is some packages cPanel bundles and it's not recommended to swap them out until they support it. They supported it on beta / unstable builds but we have a strict policy of running only stable builds - hence the older MySQL version. Recently cPanel released a new version with support for 5.1 - hence why we were able to migrate you.

This may indeed help someone else though (whether it be Google or a client) so thanks for explaining :)