Minimal Spam at Hawkhost compared with previous host

hal

I have recently moved from another host to Hawkhost's venus server. A pleasing, but curious, difference that I have noticed between the two is that while I received about 50 spam emails per day at my previous host, now I receive only one or two.

Thus, can you think of any reason why this may be the case? Is Hawkhost using any mail/spam filtering software?

Many thanks

Hal

Tony

None of those are configured for these accounts using cpanel. Are you saying that these are configured by default and cannot be disabled?

I am concerned about false positives. What happens to these non-spam, rejected emails?

Thanks

Hal

The use of spamcop and spamhaus are used at the server level they will not be disabled. If someone is sending mail to you and they're on those lists they should resolve the spam complaints and get removed. Until they're not on those lists their mail will be sent back to them saying they're listed on spamhaus or spamcop. The spam assassin portion is account level and is in cPanel.

I have been reporting to Spamcop for many years, and without people like me to classify spam, it cannot work effectively. I also use spamhaus as an aid to this.

Although these services are accurate, they are not faultless. I've seen some very large mail servers be blacklisted, affecting tens of thousands, or more, of users.

It can take a lot of time for the administrator of the mail server to recover its reputation and get it removed from the blacklist and, in that time, the sender will not be able to contact the sendee, which seems to me is not an ideal situation.

I suppose it would be more accurate, depending on how it is implemented. Does your system use a logical AND or OR as the basis for its decision?

Hal

It uses OR.

It all comes down to if we do not use these listings our mail servers will be under 10 times as much load if not more. For the one guy who once in a while gets listed it's not worth not having them at all.

Any time we've had a machine listed we had no issues resolving the problem in under 24 hours. It's not like we're walking about weeks or months to resolve it.

• 6 months later...