Wordpress Spell Check

StateDOG

For some reason I cannot get spell check to work in my wordpress control panel when entering a post. Have you had any other notices of this?

In looking around the net a little I came across two possible reason, and wondered if either of these were likely causes on HawkHost's servers.

The WordPress spell check button is a built-in piece that attempts to use Google's spell checker API to check your text. This requires that your host supports outgoing SSL connections. If you get the error that jasondunn posted above, then your host does not support those, and the WordPress built in spell check won't work.

And then I read somewhere else it was fixed for them with some tweaks to mod_security.

Any ideas? I can post a pic of what is shows me if I need to.

Question for you actually. With the spell checker when you click it does it come up with a bunch of funny characters in a popup? I am assuming you're using the tinymce in Wordpress (defaults to that I think) and using it's spellchecker.

If this is what is happening then I know why and we're working on a fix. It has to do with LiteSpeed sending GZIP + UTF-8 to the browsers. Only Opera handles this properly the other spit out a bunch of grabage. The tinyMCE editor's spellcheck plugin sends a UTF-8 header and our server automatically gzips pages whenver possible.

For now the easy fix until we can fix it at the web server level is to comment out one line of code in wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/spellchecker/rpc.php

You'll find

header('Content-Encoding: UTF-8');
[/PHP]

Change it to

[PHP]
//header('Content-Encoding: UTF-8');

It comments it out and solves the issue. Since I doubt you have a need for UTF-8 it's a good fix for now.