Change WordPress Directory

Sun56shinE

I did a default install through Softalicious and WordPress is now installed in a directory called "WP".  I want to change the directory name to the name of my blog so the address is "mydomain.com/blogname" instead of "mydomain.com/wp".  I have found a support document on WordPress for giving WordPress it's own directory but it doesn't make sense to me.  Specifically it says to copy the index.php from the wordpress directory into the root, but that means I would overwrite the existing file which is for the website I believe (of which I have used SiteBuilder).  I looked in the existing index.php on the root and there is a lot in it.

My question then: what is the easiest (and safest) way to give the WordPress directory a new name?

FYI I do have technical skills and understanding but not to the point of easily understanding what the .php files do.  Never edited them manually before, nor written a web site etc (hence using Sitebuilder), but I do know how to open an editor, directory structure etc....

Thanks in advance, Brian

We should be able to fix this for you easily enough, if you don't mind though please submit a support ticket (if you haven't already) so we can get all your account specific details. If you have submitted a ticket and it isn't handle yet just PM me the ticket ID and I'll make sure it is addressed ASAP. Thank you :)

Well, that was a scare; again.  Tech support changed the directory name (not sure what procedure they followed), then they advised there were still multiple references of the old name in numerous files.  Great.....

I did get a file listing sent to me and was advised that if I couldn't resolve my problems to contact a good developer.

I did update all the files that I was told about; I hope there aren't any that were left out.  Additionally, everything now seems to work properly. Yay!!!!

Just a little frustrated as I had hoped to avoid manually editing files by renaming the WordPress directory in a manner that all this manual work was avoided.

Hence the post here in the forum.

Anyways, so far so good and fingers crossed.