Mercury Server Upgrade [08/10/2007 - 08/17/2007]


Tony
 Share

Recommended Posts

Starting on Friday August 8th we will be migrating accounts from our Mercury server to our newly deployed Saturn server. We expect about 1-3 minutes of down time per account while we do the migration. The migration will only involve the switching of servers. IP addresses and everything else will stay intact during the move. The only issue we could see arrise is large dynamic sites take longer to move so we recommend if your site is very large and relies on a database to contact us. The issue with large sites is once the move starts it takes a copy of the database and then restores it on the new server. If the site is large enough some content may arrive on the old server before we do the IP switchover. So if you're at all concerned about this we welcome you to contact us about scheduling a time to do your move.

The reason for this upgrade is the Mercury server is showing it's age and at times has slow downs. We feel that upgrading to much better specifications will help solve this issue. It will also help us in the future when deploying new features there will be less added strain on the server. The new specifications are as follows:

Quad Core Xeon 3220 - 2.40GHz (Kentsfield) - 2 x 4MB cache

4 GB DDR2 667

4x250GB SATA II Raid-10

This is a much more powerful server compared to the current Mercury one. It adds 2 extra CPU's to the mix and along with that it adds two more hard drives and will use the much performance and redundancy oriented raid-10 configuration.

If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact our support department.

Start date: 08/10/2007

End date: 08/17/2007

Duration: 7 days (Estimated)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has been completed as of 08/12/2007 at 9:20pm EST (GMT -5). The upgrade did not go as smooth as we had hoped, but overall there was minimal down time during the move. The only real issue we ran into were the few customers we had on this server using our shared hosting platform. They were on an IP we were unable to move to the new server (relates to how all our ip's route to our servers now). We changed the IP for those shared customers and moved everything across but we anticipate some DNS issues which are unavoidable. We've also renamed the server back to Mercury to avoid confusion.

Overall the move went well and we plan on doing our other dual opteron servers in the near future. We of course will be posting notices about when those moves will be happening and we anticipate no issues after having done this sort of move once already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share