Like it here a lot... but confused

shnyc

I don't know if all questions I have can or were already answered... was looking all over the place - a lot of places to look in you have here :) - didn't find answers to most of them. So, here we go...

But firstly, the first impression from the shared hosting service - great! Even though "limits" kind of creep me out as always before I used those "unlimited" hostings, although my site(s) doesn't really consume a lot. Anyways - HawkHost seems to be a place to be. We'll see how it goes on...

I bought a shared hosting plan. Registered it with a domain I have with GoDaddy. Would probably want to transfer it here, as well as the second one I have, but for now decided to try and watch how it will go without transfer; plus, maybe you'll have a nice special for transfers - I have time. About the transfer: while reading FAQ, I saw it would cost $9.95; tried to do it through registration in Client Area - it came to $10.95 :blink:

So, now the questions, I guess.

I bought hosting here, and my domain used to register for it with HH - in ClientArea, in "My Domains" I don't see it. Nameservers are those of HH, so I'd guess I shall have some info on it. At least on my previous host - don't throw rocks, I know iPower IS crap - still, I saw information on all 3 of my domains there even though only 1 was registered through them and other two simply had their nameservers written in(on?), just like I have it here now.

The reason I pay so much attention to it is that I actually used my secondary domain to register hosting service with HH. The idea was to try-on and to set up a replacement/backup sort of site. Later, if everything goes well, I'd bring in another, primary, domain and have it, as I learned here, switched to be my main registration domain while secondary would point to some other folder... But, right now I have only one domain here and I don't seem to find any way to point it to a directory other than document root - and I was searching. How can I do it, if I can at all?

Another thing - I got swamped in logins here: one for client area, second for control panel, another one for support and finally the fourth one for this forum - ain't it couple too many logins for one site? No, maybe there are perfectly good reasons for having them all separated this way, I wouldn't argue as I am not a web security pro, but maybe I'll get to learn reasons for it, in plain terms if possible, please :unsure:

Well, I guess that covers prety much everything for now. Later I will have more, I know and appreciate your patient replies in advance :rolleyes:

Oh, and if this posting mis-categorized - I didn't want to post in pre-sale questions area as it is actually a post-sale - please do transfer it to proper category/forum. Thanks

About the transfer: while reading FAQ, I saw it would cost $9.95; tried to do it through registration in Client Area - it came to $10.95

Whoops, sorry about that. The knowledgebase article you read was out of date and has been updated, the correct cost for transfer is $10.95.

I bought hosting here, and my domain used to register for it with HH - in ClientArea, in "My Domains" I don't see it

Any domains registered through us or transferred to us should appear in your client area under 'My Domains' -- if they are not please submit a ticket to our billing department at https://support.hawkhost.com and let us know the domain in question so we can investigate.

But, right now I have only one domain here and I don't seem to find any way to point it to a directory other than document root - and I was searching. How can I do it, if I can at all?

The document root of a hosting account cannot be changed, so your primary domain will always reside at /home/$username/public_html -- You can however point addon domains to any directory you'd like inside your account.

Another thing - I got swamped in logins here: one for client area, second for control panel, another one for support and finally the fourth one for this forum - ain't it couple too many logins for one site?

You're 100% absolutely correct here, there are a whole lot of logins to remember and we want to fix that. Now we have no immediate plans of integrating cPanel login credentials or the forums, however we will be rolling out a new version of our helpdesk software which will allow users to share the same password for the client area *and* the helpdesk. Small change but we think it'll help significantly with password management for our customers.

I'm not going to move this thread because I think it has some valuable info for customers looking for reviews or some insight into our company. That said, I would always recommend using our helpdesk for questions/issues as you'll get a reply from us much sooner than to a forum thread

Thank you for signing up and for taking the time to write this post out, we really appreciate these things :)