Suggestion

deeve007

From a prompt in one of the other threads to offer any suggestions...

With regards to billing systems, in my investigations I've noticed that a couple of the major ones (not THE major one, but a couple of others that look decent) offer a free option for up to 10 hosting accounts.

Maybe HH could choose what they regard as the best of these options and install as default for all reseller accounts, would make "starting out" as a reseller just that little bit easier for us newbies to the scene.

Anyway, just an idea.

:)

There's many, many web designers/developers who toss up about reselling for their clients, but are a little nervous about taking that step. The very reason why many billing systems offer the free version, duh!

And while you might regard the install as "trivial", I could probably say that about many of the applications available via Fantastico (sp?) but there's a very good reason why they are: One person's "trivial" is another's nightmare.

I know, just had a nightmare trying to install phpMyAdmin in a subfolder (for an external developer to access one site), and I'm guessing that's an install many others would regard as "trivial".

And in the end, this thread is what the title alludes to: a "suggestion". It's probably not up to me or you if it's one that HawkHost will take on board now is it?

Maybe HH could choose what they regard as the best of these options and install as default for all reseller accounts, would make "starting out" as a reseller just that little bit easier for us newbies to the scene.

Anyway, just an idea.

:)

A few issues with that

1. The majority of resellers are not purchasing reseller accounts to sell web hosting. Believe it or not the majority use it for just their sites or customers who they do design or programming work for.
  2. There is no real best system and everyone has their own preferences as to what they believe is the best system. There information is out there for the user to pick the one that suites their business needs
  3. In the future it's going to conflict with the fact we do have plans on offering our own system at a price. The goal was to have it out before the end of the year but things came up and it's been delayed. It's a big reason we're not offering any on our reseller accounts as in the future the system we'd offer could be a competitor to our own. The system will not be branded under Hawk Host, however the corporate entity will own that business as well. So directly supporting a competitor would be frowned upon.

There's many, many web designers/developers who toss up about reselling for their clients, but are a little nervous about taking that step. The very reason why many billing systems offer the free version, duh!

In which case you would simply use these free options or even do it manually if it's only for a few clients and be done with it.

And while you might regard the install as "trivial", I could probably say that about many of the applications available via Fantastico (sp?) but there's a very good reason why they are: One person's "trivial" is another's nightmare.

No, I was not talking about how it is for me, I'm talking in general for it's target audience. I'd say most who would be reselling hosting have enough technical expertise to follow the instructions for a simple billing system.

I know, just had a nightmare trying to install phpMyAdmin in a subfolder (for an external developer to access one site), and I'm guessing that's an install many others would regard as "trivial".

No, installation on phpMyAdmin on shared hosting accounts isn't the easiest and often requires text file configuration among other requirements, few would call that trivial.

And in the end, this thread is what the title alludes to: a "suggestion". It's probably not up to me or you if it's one that HawkHost will take on board now is it?

Yes, I realised that...

No, I was not talking about how it is for me, I'm talking in general for it's target audience. I'd say most who would be reselling hosting have enough technical expertise to follow the instructions for a simple billing system.

So you regard "most" as being more like you is what you're saying?

Well let's see... I design and do interface coding, I use a range of open source CMS's for paying clients, have used a range of web apps of different pursuasions, but I am not a programmer or server kind of guy by any means (www.zavadesign.com is my business FYI). And yet I've found it so far too hard to install one of the billing systems on my account, seem to be getting install errors even after deleting install and starting again. So install not seeming "trivial" to me so far...

And I would have thought I'm a fairly good example of many who are looking to "start out" in hosting for their clients, but I guess I could be wrong.

Though are you open for the possibility that you could be too? I don't get that impression from your posts, seems more like "well, I can do it then anyone else who needs to can so stuff them".

I'm a little more accepting of different folks differing levels of technical abilities. Thankfully, seems the guys at Hawkhost are too, hence their great assistance (as always) on phpMyAdmin installation, and their logical explanation of why they have chosen not to pre-install, #1 and #3 being the most relevant really. Cheers guys, as always! ;)

k.. I'm not interested in carrying this much further. One thing though, don't put words in my mouth. I know exactly who I'm referring to and I am not saying that just because I can do it, other can too, in fact, I explicitly mentioned this in my last post! At worst, I underestimated the technical expertise of a typical user, although you may not be a typical user, as the work you are doing for clients seems to mostly be relatively simple front end only web sites.

Yep, that's me, simple front end only sites. Got me pegged right in the little box you want me in, well done sunshine!!

Oh, and if you missed it, seems HH think there's a market for those who don't want to or cannot install their own billing system:

3. In the future it's going to conflict with the fact we do have plans on offering our own system at a price.

So no, probably no need to carry this further. Apologies to HH for being a little argumentative, but I don't appreciate someone alluding to a lack of ability on my part to do a "trivial" software install. Folk should probably consider the possibility that what may seem "trivial" to them and their experience may not be so for everyone. I appreciate the fact that HH do.

Cheers guys!