Linux Weirdness...

tekiegreg

While I'm still a relative newb to the Kernel, I was curious about what version I was running on my VPS, so a quick screen from my SSH:

[root@server ~]# uname -a
Linux server 2.6.32-042stab113.11 #1 SMP Fri Dec 18 17:32:04 MSK 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Looking that up I couldn't help but think "Wait a sec, Hawkhost is giving me 2.6 kernels out of the Linux stone age?  No way..." but then I ran the Kernel version by Google and find out it's really Kernel 4.7.  Ok fair enough, saves Hawkhost a ticket...

My question: Why don't the Kernel guys more accurately report? Anyone got the answer offhand? 

The current Linux kernel version and the actual versions being used by operating systems you'll find are vastly different.  For example:

CentOS 6 - 2.6.32
CentoS 7 - 3.10.0
Ubuntu 12.04- 3.2
Ubuntu  14.04 - 3.13
Ubuntu 16.04 - 4.4

The reason being stability is a major concern so they'll continue to run the same kernel version.  They will however backport fixes to the version being ran (security, drivers etc).  That is why you end up then with versions like 2.6.32-642.

In our specific case on our VPS's using OpenVZ we're running OpenVZ 6 (CentOS 6) which means a 2.6.32 kernel.  We then use KernelCare for security patches which allows our kernels to be patched live with security fixes meaning less outages caused by us having to update kernels (requires a reboot).