Sign in to follow this  
Tip1

SSL on new domain

Hi!

So I am switching all our hosting over to Hawk host - very satisfied. Here is my question.

I just purchased a new domain. I have added it to my cPanel via "Add domains". Now I am trying to set up the "Lets Encrypt" certificate. I got this error message.

DNS DCV: The system failed to determine whether “bixacademy.com” is a registered domain because of a DNS error: (XID 6wrdea) DNS returned “SERVFAIL” (code 2) in response to the system’s query for “bixacademy.com”’s “NS” records.; HTTP DCV: The system failed to determine whether “bixacademy.com” is a registered domain because of a DNS error: (XID 6wrdea) DNS returned “SERVFAIL” (code 2) in response to the system’s query for “bixacademy.com”’s “NS” records

What is the error here and how can I fix it?

Hello and thanks for signing up with us :)

The domain bixacademy.com is using ns1.hawkhost.com / ns2.hawkhost.com as its nameservers but doing a DNS lookup is failing which to me indicates your hosting accounts nameservers aren't actually ns1.hawkhost.com / ns2.hawkhost.com. This would also explain why Lets Encrypt can't resolve the domain to issue an SSL certificate.

I believe I've found your account and assuming I'm right you should instead be using ns5.hawkhost.com / ns6.hawkhost.com as the nameservers for your domains. Once this is updated Lets Encrypt should be able to properly issue you a certificate.

If you want confirmation on the above please submit a ticket at https://my.hawkhost.com/submitticket.php so we can guarantee we're looking at the right service and we can also disclose account details we may not want to post publicly.