Sign in to follow this  
tgonhawk1

Planned NYC maintenance

Since this is not about just my site, I am posting here, rather than via ticket,  in case others are interested.

I received a mail today saying there would be a service outage in New York on Monday Nov 19,
lasting as long as six hours.  That's ok - sometimes you just have to take servers offline
to do things and there is no workaround.

I was wondering if it would be possible for Hawkhost to set things up so that
visitors get something informative rather than just a "Cannot connect" or "Server not responding"
error message which might discourage first-time visitors from trying agin later.

The idea would be that any attempt to reach the servers would redirect somewhere
which would generate a response page saying "Website is down for maintenance - try again later"
or words to that effect.

Given that it's a relatively short outage, this isn't critical, but would be helpful if it's not a lot of work to do.

20 hours ago, tgonhawk1 said:

I was wondering if it would be possible for Hawkhost to set things up so that
visitors get something informative rather than just a "Cannot connect" or "Server not responding"
error message which might discourage first-time visitors from trying agin later.

Unfortunately this is not possible given the nature of this maintenance :( -- the network will be hard down so any requests to our NYC IPs won't be served. As a result the errors/messages shown when trying to reach the IPs will be out of our control (you'll get a timeout on ping, "can't reach this site" in browser, etc.). I agree it would be helpful but sadly it just isn't practical to setup in this case.

As for notifications we will be relying on our status page at http://hawkhoststatus.com/ for that throughout the maintenance window.