Ping dal.hawkhost.com

dsert

I'm very interesting in your hosting plan. Everything seems to be perfect to me except only one thing.

The thing is that when I ping URLs hosting by you, like dal.hawkhost.com, most of the packets will be lost. The Packets lost rate is too high compared to the normal.

20100305002333116.jpg

Is there any explanation for this?

Thanks.

Our servers run a firewall system that will block excessive ICMP traffic. just-ping.com generates a lot so our servers as a protection mechanism from attacks start blocking it. This would not affect normal traffic or anything of that nature.

If you would like a more accurate ping without triggering firewall action, you can ping from your computer. If you run Windows go into run, then type in cmd, then on the command line enter "ping hawkhost.com" (without quotation marks). On Mac, go into console (should be in the Utilities folder, which is inside the applications folder) and enter "ping hawkhost.com" (again, without quotation marks). I am unsure what to do if you run Linux, but it would probably be the same or a similar process on the appropriate command line.

Our servers run a firewall system that will block excessive ICMP traffic. just-ping.com generates a lot so our servers as a protection mechanism from attacks start blocking it. This would not affect normal traffic or anything of that nature.

I've found something interesting. There's no packet lost when pinging www.hawkhost.com from just-ping.com. How to explain?

Isn't Hawk host's own website protected by you firewall system?

Or is there a special policy for www.hawkhost.com on the firewall system? Then, why do you configure like this?

If you would like a more accurate ping without triggering firewall action, you can ping from your computer. If you run Windows go into run, then type in cmd, then on the command line enter "ping hawkhost.com" (without quotation marks). On Mac, go into console (should be in the Utilities folder, which is inside the applications folder) and enter "ping hawkhost.com" (again, without quotation marks). I am unsure what to do if you run Linux, but it would probably be the same or a similar process on the appropriate command line.

Thank you for your tips. There's no packet lost when to ping dal.hawkhost.com from my computer.

But when I wander the ping status from any other location, some tools like just-ping.com seems to be useful. And just-ping.com indeed works fine with the sites hosted by any other hosting service provider.

So the picture I posted above made me uncomfortable. That's why I came here to ask.

I've found something interesting. There's no packet lost when pinging www.hawkhost.com from just-ping.com. How to explain?

Isn't Hawk host's own website protected by you firewall system?

Or is there a special policy for www.hawkhost.com on the firewall system? Then, why do you configure like this?

Our server does not run the same system.

Any host running Config Server Firewall probably has the same situation come up. Although a lot may run older systems like APF but we do not. One of the features advertised right on their page says "Ping of death protection" and it's on by default for good reason so pretty safe to say majority who run it also will block excessive ping traffic.