Cloud Hosting for Podcast use vs external providers

Wharfe

Hello! I'm hoping to understand a bit better about the power of cloud hosting.

I work with a lot of podcasters, and the larger ones we always put on a dedicated provider such as blubrry, libsyn, etc so they can handle the bandwidth. Traditionally, smaller podcasters we've run on regular shared hosting via WordPress since the bandwidth requirements are small.

Is HawkHost's cloud hosting a reasonable replacement for something like Libsyn? Can it handle the bandwidth properly of a large show hitting it with download requests all at once? I'm just throwing numbers out there, but some of these shows get thousands and thousands of downloads of ~50MB MP3 files or so. Let's say 500 people try to get that file all at once, is this no problem for Cloud Hosting (provided it's within the bandwidth of the chosen hosting package) or would performance be poor as opposed to something like Libsyn?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Wharfe said:

Is HawkHost's cloud hosting a reasonable replacement for something like Libsyn? Can it handle the bandwidth properly of a large show hitting it with download requests all at once? I'm just throwing numbers out there, but some of these shows get thousands and thousands of downloads of ~50MB MP3 files or so. Let's say 500 people try to get that file all at once, is this no problem for Cloud Hosting (provided it's within the bandwidth of the chosen hosting package) or would performance be poor as opposed to something like Libsyn?

I have no experience with Libsyn so I'm not sure how well they perform but I don't see any mention of them using a CDN so I think it would be pretty comparable to single location hosting. How our cloud hosting works is you're given your own server and you can install any software you wish. Apache/Nginx/Litespeed all would have no problem serving static content so I don't think you'd ever run into issues with the web server portion. Every cloud server with us is connected to a server capable of up to 40gbps but each cloud server by default can utilize a maximum of 1gbps. This limitation is simply because very few users would need more than 1Gbps and if they're using more than this and they're not experienced with servers it most likely would mean a compromised system.

1gbps is the equivalent of 125MB/sec which say if you had 500 users all at once that would be divided to 0.250MB/sec. I however don't think realistically you're see 500 users all at once in the exact same second. I think 1MB/sec or more per user would be a more realistic number you'd see.  If this is truly the expectation though like I mentioned you could speak to our sales team and look at going up to 10gbps a second when necessary. You could also of course setup multiple servers and accomplish your goals that way.