Business Email - Google Suit?

THE.H

I finally found my way to the hawk host forums, hehe. This is my first post so a bit about myself, I have been a Hawk Host Customer with a small project blog since earlier this year. Now, I have been thinking of getting G Suit, so I can have a more professional looking email address as name @ companyurl for my clients who email me. Currently its just a gmail account, and since I like using gmail so much I thought about just buying a google suit package for a year, you know 30GB storage space and the whole deal for like 5 bucks a month if I paid for a year. Which works okay.

Now Iw as wondering what the whole Hawk Host Email setup was like? Does it have its own mail box or it it like some mail forwarding where its sent to my gmail etc, but what happens when I reply to a mail, is it going to appear like it came from a personal gmail account or the setup professional looking one. then I can just buy some space for my existing gmail account and contunue using that, but rather not if its going to be a bit too messy.

Just gauging my options and what you guys all thought, if anyone has experience using both or g suit and if hawk was partnered with gsuit for any specials etc.

Thanks for you time :) & happy holidays

Hello! All of our hosting plans do include email so you can setup [email protected] email accounts through your existing hosting plan. We also offer SpamExperts filtering for free on both incoming and outgoing emails so you'll be protected from spam, UCE, malware, etc. from hitting your inbox.

Now if you prefer to continue using the Gmail interface it is also possible to associate your email address(es) that's hosted through us to your Gmail account. You can do that by logging into Gmail and then go to "Settings => Forwarding and POP/IMAP". This would be done once you create your email address with us in cPanel as you'll need your server name, password, and other settings.

Lastly if you did choose to host your email through GSuite you can modify your domains MX records (assuming we're hosting your DNS) through cPanel using the 'Zone Editor' interface.

Thanks Brian, I am a bit new to this so can you tell me a bit more about using my current gmail interface or account while associating it to [email protected] type of thing. So how does that work exactly? lets say a client send an email to me at [email protected] it gets forwarded to my gmail account, then when I reply to it, does the reply go to the client as coming from myname@mydomain or does it come as [email protected] instead? I mean how does it work? Does the reply I send go to the myname@mydomain account I have setup in hawk host and then gets sent again to the client or vice versa?

I have a cloudfare setup on my domain so maybe I have to add things there as well if I went the gsuit method?

Thanks and Holiday Greetings.

You can associate multiple email addresses with your Gmail account,
and choose which one is used for each outgoing message.
It will send your messages directly to the recipients (not via Hawkhost).

That is all handled within Gmail, and this Google search result (or some variation of it)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmail+multiple+addresses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

will give you lots of articles describing all the various aspects of using that Gmail feature.

Great information thats exactly what I was after,  after I created and email address however had some difficulty associating it to my gmail account, I keept getting the errors as,

"Couldn't reach server. Please double-check the server and port number. " Or "your other email provider is responding too slowly. Please try again later, or contact the administrator of your other domain for further information. "

Then I logged into my hawkhost mydomain/webmail and setup the interface I wanted to use, which kept logging me out but eventually got it, and then successfully added it but its as follows

Mail is sent through: mail.mydomain.com
[email protected]
Secured connection on port 465 using SSL

Now setting up forwarding..anybody know what would be the best way to do that, I am getting various information over the years, what would be the best option to forward the mail now that comes to user@mydomain to my gmail account (since now I can reply from there as user@mydomain and dont wish to use or check webmail. Is the Forwarder option all I need from the cpanel?

How can I make sure no important / genuine client mail is blocked by the spam blocker etc?

Also anyway to auto delete the emails in the server after a month of them being forwarded or after they are forwarded or is that a manual task or some how can be made automatic.

If you're using Cloudflare on your domain it's possible that is causing issues with Gmail resolving the right server hostname. Instead of using mail.yourdomain.com you should try using the server hostname (you can find this in cPanel and your client area) as that will resolve directly to the machine itself and not proxy through Cloudflare.

If I'm understanding your intended setup properly then forwarding should not be necessary, you can use the Gmail integration to send/receive emails directly without first having to setup a forwarder in cPanel. That would be done through the Gmail settings previously mentioned, just make sure you fill out both the SMTP and POP3 server details.

Lastly for auto-deleting emails that is not something we offer unfortunately. I know we've had customers setup custom solutions in the past involving basic scripts and cronjobs so it's possible but just not something we have a native tool for.

Okay So here is what I have done so far and it seems to be doing what it should. including deleting the mail from the hawk host email address once its forwarded to gmail. I think I am doing it right? and incase somebody wants the information..

My solution:

mail.mydomain.com is working for the smtp server, its ssl 465. so thats working fine, from my tests.

then I setup a forwarding from cpanel which forwards the mail to my gmail inbox.

next I setup pop3 in gmail (settings [gearbox symbol] > accounts and import > check mail from other accounts>add email account [email protected] with relevant details,

then I went to the forwarding and pop/imap setup tab under gmail settings to the right, and enabled pop and selected keep gmails copy in the inbox.

This way as soon as mail is sent to the user@mydomain,.com it comes to my gmail inbox, gmail checks pop likely every other hour, so its faster than pop,

and once gmail checks and syncs with mail in [email protected] and sees its already present in the gmail inbox, it automatically deletes the mail in the hawkhost/cpanel/webmail/[email protected] inbox. so every hour/day the mailbox in [email protected] will be deleted/cleared of emails by gmail.

Now this works great for basic users as myself who may get a few emails every other day, and will work for most people short of  maybe the elite power users who get tons and tons a day. But I am sure those type of users will have all dedicated mail systems and all that fancy stuff setup already.

so this is the solution that seems to be working, without needing to do any corn jobs etc, finally I also bought a 100GB google drive space for my gmail inbox so now I an handle both personal and business related mails from the same inbox, also there is an option in gmail to select "send email as original recipients address or something along those lines" this allows you not having to switch every time you want to reply, as in if somebody sends you a private email at [email protected] then you can reply automatically as [email protected] but if anybody sends you a message to [email protected] you dont need to click and change the send as [email protected], its automatically selected. 

there are a few bugs with cookies timing out when login in to the mydomain.com/webmail and takes at least 5 tries (or did when I was testing last night)

So far this is exactly what I was looking for, better than buying a google suit, I get a @mydomain.com email through hawkhost, and still use the gmail interface, use one email login for the two purposes, and on top, I get more space for far less money, google suit is about 30GB for a lot more price when I got 100GB for half as much. So all worked out wonderfully.

hope this helps somebody and if you see any flaws or place of improvements I can make to my current setup, do advise. :)

Thanks everyone and happy holidays. .