Let's talk notifications here...

tekiegreg

Ok you guys gave me a scare today.  I know you gotta do scheduled updates/installs on your servers.  But no emails, nothing on http://www.hawkhoststatus.com and nothing in the forums when I wondered why all day my email and Cpanel wasn't working (yes you were updating Cpanel).  If I had known ahead of time, or could have looked it up somewhere it probably would have been a bit more cool.  Just saying....

Yesterday was a bit of an anomaly with the cPanel updates. We've been running them for years now without any disruption to services or major issues, the biggest problem would be customers couldn't login to cPanel for maybe ten or fifteen minutes. For some reason (which is still being investigated) we had a number of updates fail yesterday which, while frustrating, didn't cause extended issues. There was only one server that I'm aware of where we had email issues that lasted about two hours. You're right in that we should have updated the status page when this happened but truth be told we didn't expect the update/fix to take as long as it did, and we simply overlooked updating the status page while trying to debug the issues. We'll be better about that next time.

You mentioned your email and cPanel weren't working all day which is very concerning to me because as I said we only had one server experience about two hours of connectivity issues for cPanel logins and receiving emails. If the services were down all day then it's likely something else was at play here that we weren't aware of and that is definitely something we'd want to investigate further.

Well ok, you're forgiven :-) , and now that I know there are some weirdness issues with Cpanel, great I'll bear that in mind when they go out again.  However I think I was out starting around 8amish, and I didn't get my email/cpanel back until ~3pm yesterday Mountain Daylight time.  Do with that what you will.

That's very strange then because we started the cPanel updates at about 1PMEST. As far as I know we weren't doing any maintenance/upgrades that early but now I'm going to triple-check out internal chat logs and notes to make sure. If you want to have this investigated further / get some more account specific replies feel free to submit a ticket while referencing this thread and we'll handle that accordingly.

Either way I'm sorry about how we handled this. It's not a mistake I expect to repeat and I want to make sure we're more diligent about posting status updates for any extended issues (minor as they may be).