Windows Hosting

Tony

It appears as if finally cPanel's Enkompass panel for windows is coming out. So I ask is anyone even interested in windows hosting?

Here's their overview page: http://www.cpanel.net/windows/overview.html

It has quite a few advantages over it's linux based version. It supports multiple servers properly right out of the box. So we can run multiple web servers, multiple mail, multiple SQL ect. So it's quite easy to build out a much more scalable infrastructure.

As far as if we'll offer and if so when? Well that's totally up in the air as we're looking at the interest in it first of all. The second is being able to properly invest and create an infrastructure that will provide the quality necessary to offer the windows hosting using encompass.

It appears as if finally cPanel's Encompass panel for windows is coming out. So I ask is anyone even interested in windows hosting?

Gee, Tony. Are you suggesting that there is a companion to Cpanel's Enkompass :P

It doesn't matter to me how you spell it. I'm not interested. I have enough problems with Windows as is.

Gee, Tony. Are you suggesting that there is a companion to Cpanel's Enkompass :P

It doesn't matter to me how you spell it. I'm not interested. I have enough problems with Windows as is.

Fixed that

I imagine what's going to happen is eventually cPanel the Linux version will simply become Enkompass as well. So you'll have an all in one solution for Windows and Linux that supports multiple servers. They'll get away from the per server to per user license. So it'll be similar to Hsphere with it being all in one. It'll give an advantage to hosts who are using more than one server such as us. We could turn 5 web servers we currently have into 2 web + 1 mysql + 1 mail or whatever. That's probably a ways away though they talked about how cPanel 12 would offer that sort of thing.

so what is the difference between a linux based php server against a windows based php server? oh of course the linux based one would give you a hell less of headaches.

unless you would be giving out certain new things from the windows hosting like asp perhaps- i think offering java in your hosting would reach out to more new customers

Windows hosting would be targeting people wishing to use ASP.NET, SQL Server as well as the ability to use a mail system similar to exchange.

As far as java the problem with it is having the underlying software supporting it. It's no good if we're having to manually setup everything for users. We're all about automation.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Hawk Host should first consider Cloud Hosting as it is fast gaining in popularity due to its many advantages:

- automatically reacts and allocates more resources from its resource pool to the website as and when it is needed

- website is very fast as it can use the massive resources of the Cloud at anytime, hence no more slow loading pages or downtime

- choose either Linux or Windows hosting on the cloud

- run Linux and Windows scripts on the same website from the same folder

- access new and old technologies such as PHP4, PHP5, etc

- no need to move from shared hosting to vps to dedicated as our website grows.

Cloud Computing is such a beautiful and simple concept. How can we ignore it?

We cannot disregard Windows Hosting as Microsoft is a very big player in the IT industry. At the same time, Windows Hosting on traditional servers has several problems such as:

- not as stable as Unix

- slower than Unix servers

- resource intensive

- more reboots required, which means more downtime.

I don't see why Hawk Host should waste time and money on setting up Windows Hosting using traditional hosting methods knowing the kind of problems Windows Hosting has. I would think most of these problems would be solved with Cloud Hosting. It makes sense to me to first implement Cloud Hosting and then offer Windows Hosting as an option under it.

Hawk Host has established itself as a hosting company keen on the latest technology as seen from the recent server hardware upgrades. Besides using the latest hardware technology, they should also think about using the latest hosting technology...Cloud Computing.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Windows as hosting server no way,Linux is very efficient and cheaper and can run throughout the year without any problem.So Linux is the best vbulletin-smile.gif

I think I will just opt out of the debate on Windows vs. Linux. Sufficient to say that if even offering Windows Hosting is an option, there must be some reason Hawkhost would even consider doing so...

• 1 year later...

I might go for it, how about at the un-managed VPS level?  Throw me an Windows OS on a VPS and say "You're on your own, we'll reimage you if you really screw it up."

I just surfed HawkHost forum and I'm glad to see this topic still exists. Therefore I would like to ask you guys if you consider adding Windows Hosting Plans in the near future?

And by the way, thank you for 4 years of superhosting.

I just surfed HawkHost forum and I'm glad to see this topic still exists. Therefore I would like to ask you guys if you consider adding Windows Hosting Plans in the near future?

And by the way, thank you for 4 years of superhosting.

As far as shared/reseller Windows hosting, we likely won't be offering this at anytime in the near future. cPanel dropped support/active development for their Windows based control panel (Enkompass) and we don't really want to dive into another panel (DirectAdmin, Interworx, etc). We think our efforts are better focused on optimizing and improving existing services rather than trying to jump into new markets.

I might go for it, how about at the un-managed VPS level?  Throw me an Windows OS on a VPS and say "You're on your own, we'll reimage you if you really screw it up."

Similar to my reply to andrei, even VPS hosting with Windows might be outside the scope of what we're looking for. The two major reasons that come to mind (I know I'm overlooking some) are licensing and staff time. We're all very competent and comfortable with Linux, but not as much with Windows at the server level. Even if it's unmanaged, we know people will still expect a level of support that we (at least right now) couldn't confidently provide. I'd rather stay out of a market entirely than provide a lower quality of service that people have come to expect from Hawk Host.

As far as shared/reseller Windows hosting, we likely won't be offering this at anytime in the near future. cPanel dropped support/active development for their Windows based control panel (Enkompass) and we don't really want to dive into another panel (DirectAdmin, Interworx, etc). We think our efforts are better focused on optimizing and improving existing services rather than trying to jump into new markets.

Similar to my reply to andrei, even VPS hosting with Windows might be outside the scope of what we're looking for. The two major reasons that come to mind (I know I'm overlooking some) are licensing and staff time. We're all very competent and comfortable with Linux, but not as much with Windows at the server level. Even if it's unmanaged, we know people will still expect a level of support that we (at least right now) couldn't confidently provide. I'd rather stay out of a market entirely than provide a lower quality of service that people have come to expect from Hawk Host.

Tend to agree believe it or not.  Windows hosting is a whole other animal for support and licensing.  Can really drive up the cost.

Tend to agree believe it or not.  Windows hosting is a whole other animal for support and licensing.  Can really drive up the cost.

Bingo - the addiitonal licensing / providing support for it is not something to take lightly. We'll be offering it for VPS relatively soon however :).