Mars Apache 2.2 Upgrade & suPHP Introduced [12/21/2007]

Tony

On Friday December 21st at 10am EST we will be upgrading the Mars server's apache version to 2.2 from the currently running 1.3 branch. We expect this migration to take about an hour to do. We do not expect any down time during this migration.

We've been running Apache 2.2 on our Venus server for over a month now without issue. It has brought much better performance and made our management of the server much easier. We'll also be switching to suPHP which will make things much less complicated with regards to permissions of files. 777 files permissions will no longer work and 755 will be the maximum needed for php scripts to access files on your sites.

Here is a quick summary of the new features and any problems you may encounter.

Apache 2.2

Apache 2.2 has much better resource management. As a result it can much better serve static content. Static content would be things like images, files ect. This should not be confused with PHP or CGI scripts which are not static at all.

As for problems this may cause we do not expect any at all.

suPHP

suPHP is a much more secure PHP setup. It has all PHP scripts running as the user. This means that there are no issues with uploading of content and another user owning the files. It also restricts the acceptable permissions for files which is where we expect the majority of problems to come from. Here are the acceptable permissions in this new setup:

PHP Scripts: 644

Directories: 755

For the most part this should not be an issue unless you've been changing permissions of folders when it was unnecessary. We will be running scripts to attempt to fix permissions. With that we'll also be logging all errors relating to permissions in hopes of solving any that are popping up.

The other issue with suPHP is you can no longer change php configuration values (such as register_globals) in a .htaccess. This will now need to be done by placing a php.ini in the folder that this change needs to be made. You will also use standard PHP notation opposed php_flags that can be used in .htaccess files.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact support.

Date: 12/21/2007

Start time (EST): 10:00am

End time (EST): 11:00am

Duration: 60 minutes

One of my sites is showing a 500 Internal Server Error.

Its just the one site

Error log says something about php_flag

Only started happenign a few mins ago

php_flag register_globals

No longer accepted in my htaccess, breaks scripts with a 500 error

Also even with it off it causes the following error:

URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration

One of my sites is showing a 500 Internal Server Error.

Its just the one site

Error log says something about php_flag

Only started happenign a few mins ago

php_flag register_globals

No longer accepted in my htaccess, breaks scripts with a 500 error

Also even with it off it causes the following error:

URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration

Please open a ticket

But I can tell you right now php_flags will cause internal errors. The other issue I'm not sure just open a ticket.

It has never caused internal issues before until like 10 minutes ago.

Im not going to open a ticket until you have fully upgraded the servers. It is that upgrade which is causing it

The server is running Apache 2.2 with the new setup now. Our scripts are running to fix common problems. However the issue you're having is not one of the problems that is common.

We found an issue with the PHP4 install that did not show up at the start. PHP4 mysql implementation was built against the wrong version. We're currently rebuilding it so it will work fine with MySQL5. I'll update when that is completed.