Changing webalizer defaults

woodp

The webalizer README suggest creating a webalizer.conf and dropping it in the webalizer directory to change default settings - Say I want to see only the 100 top referrers instead of the default 250. Or I want to look at more than 12 months of data.

I tried that without success so I now assume the webalizer.conf is a system level directive and not something I can change my personal reports with by dropping it in my /home/{account}/tmp/webalizer subdirectory.

Or perhaps I did something wrong? Has anyone else tried to customize their webalizer output?

Thanks for that cpanel URL. The rest of the thread was interesting.

I wasn't familiar with the chattr command so I read the man page - Not very informational. So I tried the command and received an "Operation not permitted while setting flags on /home/{account}/tmp/webalizer/webalizer.conf" error.

Then I found this (http://beginlinux.com/sec_train_m/security_concpts/adv_file_attr) which implied the "a" and "i" switches can only be set by root. I tried sudo just for grins and got my hand slapped by the OS.

Guess I'm stuck, eh?

Maybe set up google analytics instead?

Simply put, I'm trying to change Webalizer's defaults. Specifically, my sites have a lot of small GIFs and JPGs that make up part of the theme. Those images are loaded with every page load and go way to the top of the "Top 30 of 660 Total URLs" list.

What I really want to see is where the html pages rank among themselves.

So I was thinking either exclude all file types except html. Or increase the "Top total URL' list to 100 or something larger.

Google scares me - And asking them through Google Analytics to index another of my sites is something I would have preferred not to do. But I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Well, I learned something new (chattr and lsattr) today ...

Interestingly enough, creating and modifying webalizer.conf does appear to be working without (!) the chattr switches. Looks like the key is that webalizer is run as a cron job and I have to wait until after the job has run to see my webalizer.conf changes.

Now to fine tune ...

Interestingly enough, creating and modifying webalizer.conf does appear to be working without (!) the chattr switches. Looks like the key is that webalizer is run as a cron job and I have to wait until after the job has run to see my webalizer.conf changes.

Now to fine tune ...

The chattr is used to protect it from changes happening such as a cPanel update or whatever. You're right about it being on a cron though once a day stats run for each user on each server.