Sign in to follow this  
hannah_isi

All in One SEO plugin?

I just downloaded this plugin to try out after it was recommended to me... what i was looking for is something to help me with SEO as I struggle to understand and improve it. 

but looking at it I am thoroughly confused.  Also a little intimidated by the memory usage options and am not sure what setting to put it on..default is at 256 mb which seems a lot? should i knock it down to 128 mb?  

also worried about how efficiency and memory usage or bandwidth usage...as I know there are some plugins that hawkhost and other hosts dislike...but i'm not sure what I am looking for in terms of what would be a "bad" or disliked plugin by a host and why?  what is it about some plugins that webhosts dislike? and how would I (bearing in mind i know next to nothing about this stuff and am struggling to learn about and understand it) be able to identify before downloading a plugin, if it has those undesirable points?

default is at 256 mb which seems a lot? should i knock it down to 128 mb?

You're probably safe to leave it at 256MB for now. Allocating the additional memory will only improve the performance (to a point).

but i'm not sure what I am looking for in terms of what would be a "bad" or disliked plugin by a host and why? what is it about some plugins that webhosts dislike?

Simply put, lot of SEO plugins (well, a lot of plugins in general) are coded without regards to performance or optimizations. They execute massive/poorly constructed MySQL queries which can take 30+ seconds to run and update millions of records at once. They also use inefficient functions to generate the keywords or populate the articles you're working on.

how would I be able to identify before downloading a plugin, if it has those undesirable points?

First step would be read reviews of the plugin, both on the official page and other web master forums/sites around the internet. Secondly you can always ask your host about specific plugins and if they have experience with (both good and bad) the plugin(s) you're looking at. A final step would be to install the plugin(s) you're curious about and use something like https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/ to identify where your bottlenecks are.