A Few Questions

lkh007

Hi Tony / Cody,

I'd done some research on web hosting and eventually found you guys.

I would like to know about the following:

1. What is the Ruby version used?

2. Is there a Capistrano recipe for deployment to your servers? Or shall I just use the Litespeed Capistrano recipe?

3. For PHP, do you have a phpinfo page link?

4. What is the MySQL size limit per database except the hard limit of 4GB (due to OS)?

5. Is there a way to upgrade plans before plan expires? What are the process like?

6. How big is your team? I'd only found Tony and Cody so far :P

Appreciated for any replies.

Hi Tony / Cody,

I'd done some research on web hosting and eventually found you guys.

I would like to know about the following:

1. What is the Ruby version used?

2. Is there a Capistrano recipe for deployment to your servers? Or shall I just use the Litespeed Capistrano recipe?

3. For PHP, do you have a phpinfo page link?

4. What is the MySQL size limit per database except the hard limit of 4GB (due to OS)?

5. Is there a way to upgrade plans before plan expires? What are the process like?

6. How big is your team? I'd only found Tony and Cody so far :P

Appreciated for any replies.

1. Ruby is 1.8.7

2. The ruby portion runs Mongrel not LiteSpeed currently.

3. We do not but we load everything that you'd expect to see for a developer friendly environment. So PDO is the big one some do not load but we have it.

4. You'd be limited by your space as well but when you have a 4GB database depending on the data if it's millions of rows you're probably going to run into problems. With large databases you'd optimize the mysql server for that but obviously we cannot as there are varying databases.

5. A simple ticket

6. We cannot reveal the size but it's more than just Cody and I. Not everyone posts on the forum some have things like responding to support tickets.

1. Ruby is 1.8.7

2. The ruby portion runs Mongrel not LiteSpeed currently.

3. We do not but we load everything that you'd expect to see for a developer friendly environment. So PDO is the big one some do not load but we have it.

4. You'd be limited by your space as well but when you have a 4GB database depending on the data if it's millions of rows you're probably going to run into problems. With large databases you'd optimize the mysql server for that but obviously we cannot as there are varying databases.

5. A simple ticket

6. We cannot reveal the size but it's more than just Cody and I. Not everyone posts on the forum some have things like responding to support tickets.

Hi Tony,

That's really lightning fast reply from you!

More questions:

1. How many Mongrel instances allowed? Do they vary based on different plans? Is it available for Shared Hosting Plans? Is it manage-able in CPanel? If not, SSH would need to be used to start various Mongrel instance.

2. Is there a need to submit "Photo ID" or some other stuffs as identification for enabling SSH access (other hosting providers like HostMonster, Hostgator, etc need the ID for verification)? As I'm not from U.S., it would be an issue.

3. Can I safely say that e.g. Standard plan, 6GB disk space, this disk space size limit will be shared by MySQL DB as well?

Hi Tony,

That's really lightning fast reply from you!

More questions:

1. How many Mongrel instances allowed? Do they vary based on different plans? Is it available for Shared Hosting Plans? Is it manage-able in CPanel? If not, SSH would need to be used to start various Mongrel instance.

2. Is there a need to submit "Photo ID" or some other stuffs as identification for enabling SSH access (other hosting providers like HostMonster, Hostgator, etc need the ID for verification)? As I'm not from U.S., it would be an issue.

3. Can I safely say that e.g. Standard plan, 6GB disk space, this disk space size limit will be shared by MySQL DB as well?

1. It's controlled via cPanel as for instances it be one per application I believe. For the number of applications we ask that it be within reason if you're running 50 obviously that's not within reason

2. No we do not require that

3. Yes that would be shared between them

1. It's controlled via cPanel as for instances it be one per application I believe. For the number of applications we ask that it be within reason if you're running 50 obviously that's not within reason

2. No we do not require that

3. Yes that would be shared between them

Hi Tony,

More and more questions:

1. How about the occupancy rate per server? What will be the limit for CPU/RAM usage e.g. 25% for Hostgator (read from somewhere) etc? Do you happen to have details of the limitations on Shared Hosting? Other providers are not doing good jobs here as it's difficult to find information regarding this.

2. Will there be a auto notification if the usage is out of control?

Hi Tony,

More and more questions:

1. How about the occupancy rate per server? What will be the limit for CPU/RAM usage e.g. 25% for Hostgator (read from somewhere) etc? Do you happen to have details of the limitations on Shared Hosting? Other providers are not doing good jobs here as it's difficult to find information regarding this.

2. Will there be a auto notification if the usage is out of control?

1. Unfortunately just like any other host there is no science to this or public information. The specifications of machines are always going up so the numbers are always changing. There is no way we'd let someone use 25% of the servers resources for days that's for sure. It also varies server to server one machine we might say sure go ahead the next it might be wow that's out of control.

2. We try to work with you if there is a problem. Now if the problem is you using 8 CPU's all by yourself we'd have to disable the site for obvious reasons.

• 2 months later...

First of all do you accept paypal or is it just CC?

- We accept Paypal as well

How many MySQL connections do you allow?

- 25 this should be plenty for any site that would fit into a shared hosting environment

Would you move form my web host to yours

- Yep