VPS V/S Semi-Dedicated

yarri9

Hi,
I am currently shared hosting user. But I am not satisfied with shared hosting due to low speed and downtime. I want to upgrade to higher level of hosting. So I want you to recommend me that which type of hosting will be better for me.

> I will host only 3-5 WordPress blogs with 3000-5000 visitors per month per blog .  

> I do have only very basic knowledge of servers. So I will not be able to resolve server problems on my own.

> I want higher loading speed for my blogs in every corner of world.

> I want no or minimum downtime. 

> I do not want that my site get any kind of negative effect from other users like black listed ip, low speed or any other kind of bad reputation due to other users on same server.

So what type of web hosting will be better for me? Semi-Dedicated or VPS? 

Are your VPS are fully managed?

How many users you put on a server in semi-dedicated hosting?

What is your average downtime of your servers in VPS and Semi-Dedicating hosting? Which type of hosting is prone to more downtime?

And which type of hosting is suitable for better speed, stability and flexibility non-technical user?

My blogs get most of traffic from USA, India, South East Asia and Egypt.So which data center location should I choose?

Speed, great uptime and best accessibility to users are main key points for me.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: Not a Hawkhost employee here

I'd probably go Semi-Dedicated. Ensure you get a dedicated IP as well if you want to avoid blacklist issues that aren't your own. 

VPS requires some level of management (though Hawkhost takes care of quite a bit). 

The best location in my experience that is fairly location neutral (great speeds all around) is their Dallas location. 

Which one is more reliable?  Hard to say.  Lots of factors at play there.  However a badly managed VPS (if you choose to try managing it yourself) will have far less uptime than either one, best options are a well managed VPS or Semi-Dedicated.  Discuss your concerns with HawkHost and what they're willing to manage for you.

So what type of web hosting will be better for me? Semi-Dedicated or VPS?

Semi dedicated allows you to take advantage of us running a server. It also gets to take advantage of all our additional server resources. The one gotcha though is it's still a shared medium. With a VPS you can install anything you want and run it however you like. You're not shared the web server or MySQL server with any other user.

Are your VPS are fully managed?

They are not but our team can help you out. With cPanel/WHM installed most users don't run into many issues. Even if it was managed one thing people forget is most issues are due to their software. Even if you were paying $1000/month to have someone manage a server for you they're not going to be able to fix that badly coded web site.

How many users you put on a server in semi-dedicated hosting?

This varies server to server we base everything off server load rather than trying to meet some minimum user level. Some servers have more users others have less.

What is your average downtime of your servers in VPS and Semi-Dedicating hosting? Which type of hosting is prone to more downtime?

Both services have virtually no downtime. I really don't have an exact figure here but I'd guess and say it's 99.99% if you averaged everything out across all the servers.

And which type of hosting is suitable for better speed, stability and flexibility non-technical user?

Semi dedicated probably unless you had specific optimization needs that you'd benefit from a VPS.

My blogs get most of traffic from USA, India, South East Asia and Egypt.So which data center location should I choose?

Speed, great uptime and best accessibility to users are main key points for me.

Thank you.

You're probably best to look at Dallas in this case. It's centrally located in the USA and isn't too far east or west so the latency from either Asia or Egypt will be pretty comparable.

I'd probably go Semi-Dedicated. Ensure you get a dedicated IP as well if you want to avoid blacklist issues that aren't your own.

As it stands this feature has been removed. The reason being with our relay servers there are very few RBL issues and the reputation of our mailing IP's is very good. In fact it be tough for a customer on their own IP mailing from it to probably match the kind of reputation our IP's are building. I'm not going to paste our IP's here but anyone who has sent email then looked up the relay IP they sent from on say senderbase.org from cisco they would see good which means:

Good = Little or no threat activity has been observed from your IP address or domain. Your email or Web traffic is not likely to be filtered or blocked*.

Previously we had only a few servers in good and just one compromised site and that be back to neutral.