broadcast streaming audio (radio station) on Hawk Host?

canadave

Pardon me if my question to follow is a bit ignorant-sounding...I'm not entirely sure how this would work.

There's a community radio station in the small town that I live in, and they stream their live radio broadcast over the internet using a streaming provider called "NetroMedia" (the radio station uses a cheapo PC running Windows Media Encoder, and I guess WME sends the stream to NetroMedia somehow...specifically though, I'm not sure what role Netro exactly plays).

I just volunteered with them, and I'm looking to improve their service, since they say the Netro stream conks out fairly frequently and has never worked properly. I guess my question is: if I signed them up with a hosting account via Hawk Host and got them a proper domain name, would there be a way to stream their audio via that hosting account? Some kind of streaming server installation maybe? I'm not too sure how it might work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

--Dave

This would really depend on the software / resources you needed to do this. Offhand I'm not sure if a shared hosting account would work (based solely off a server software perspective) though a VPS may be a workable solution for you. If you can let us know more about the software/desired setup we can give a more concrete answer :)

You're asking me? :) Hehe...okay, let me see if I can describe it, although again please bear in mind I know very little about this aspect of hosting.

Basically, this is what their current setup is:

1. Live radio (audio only) is fed into the audio-in jack on a Windows XP computer.

2. The audio is encoded "on the fly" using Windows Media Encoder, and then somehow sent along to Netromedia.com's server.

3. The Netromedia.com server streams the audio to anyone who points their web browser to the proper web address (http://www.qccrfm.com in this case).

The problem right now is that their stream conks out fairly often. So I'm helping them look at alternatives to streaming via a "third party" such as Netromedia.com, and was wondering if there would be a way to set it up with a Hawk Host account so that it looks instead something like this:

1. Live radio (audio only) is fed into the audio-in jack on a Windows XP computer.

2. The audio is encoded "on the fly" using Windows Media Encoder, and then somehow sent along to our Hawk Host hosting server.

3. The Hawk Host server streams the audio to anyone who points their web browser to the proper web address (http://www.qccrfm.com in this case).

So I guess I'm just asking if this is something Hawk Host can offer :) I'm assuming that if it IS possible, it would require a streaming audio broadcast software thingy to be running on the Hawk Host server. I've no idea what something like that would look like.