Remote MySQL access?

deeve007

I'm trying to find out how to allow a developer have access to the DB of one of my sites? I don't want them to access it via the Cpanel for obvious reasons.

How do I enable this, it's not clear from looking at the Cpanel interface?

Thanks.

Within cPanel there's an option "Remote MySQL" where you can allow remote hosts access to the MySQL server.

Hope that helps :)

If you are granting remote mysql it would be the persons IP. However this sounds more like you want them to have phpmyadmin but not cpanel. The only solution to that is to upload phpmyadmin to a folder and set it up to use the mysql database the developer should have access to.

So how does that work? Do I need to find out my developer's IP address and add that?

And then what do I do? How do you actually reach the database from externally (ie. not via Cpanel)?

Ah, Tony is correct - if he wants to utilize PHPMyAdmin you'll need to upload it separately.

On a side note: yes technically you would need to know the developers IP, but you could also use a wildcard (%) to allow anyone to connect remotely (generally not a good practice).

• 2 months later...

I don't think I need a new thread so I will ask here----

I want to use my editor to connect remotely to the database on your server pluto-- while setting up the wizard it asks for the host,port[3306] user name and password and gives examples like mysql.mydomain.com for the host in the editor help file--

Unless it is the port that is wrong[it was filled in by default 3306] localhost does not work [that would be my wamp anyway]...what is the location or whatever it is...I have added my ip to remote access,but i want to access the db from inside the editor--

Thanks

I don't think I need a new thread so I will ask here----

I want to use my editor to connect remotely to the database on your server pluto-- while setting up the wizard it asks for the host,port[3306] user name and password and gives examples like mysql.mydomain.com for the host in the editor help file--

Unless it is the port that is wrong[it was filled in by default 3306] localhost does not work [that would be my wamp anyway]...what is the location or whatever it is...I have added my ip to remote access,but i want to access the db from inside the editor--

Thanks

If I understand what you're saying try to put "pluto.hawkhost.com" under the remote server.

It might be a better idea to use your domain to connect in case the server you're on ever switches or you switch providers or anything like that. I'd hope that's never the case but always a good idea to have it set to something you'll never change.