Which server is best for me?

cappazushi

My friends and I are considering starting a website with Hawk Host. The content will be geared towards English speakers that are actively studying or have an interest in learning Japanese. If I had to guess, most of our hits will come from the US and (ex-pats in) Japan, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a fair number of hits from the UK and Australia/NZ. I understand that this is a huge range (essentially covering the entire globe) so I'm not looking for a miracle. I'm just curious which server will hit the most native English "zones" best without leaving any area totally in the dust. Thank you very much.

Also, how simple is the upgrade (to better data plans) process? Are there any fees? Let's say I'm paying $3.50 a month, but we want to upgrade to a $4 plan. Do we just pay the $0.50 difference to upgrade? Thanks again.

We do have speedtests and downloads available at http://www.hawkhost.com/network for all of our 6 locations if you wanted to test that. Based on what you've said my suggestion would be to use a location on the West coast, as latency for users throughout North America will be fine and your visitors from Japan/Asia and Australia/NZ will get better speeds than somewhere like Washington DC. The folks from UK would have the 'slowest' browsing experience but I really don't believe that extra 100ms of latency or so will cause a major issue.

For upgrading it can be done automatically right through your client area and you'd just pay the difference between plans.

I'm sorry, I have two more questions.

1. What is the ID Protection you provide free with domain registration (but is optional)?

2. I can almost guarantee my purchase will be flagged as fraud. I live in Japan but maintain an American credit card with a billing address as my parent's house. Is there any way to avoid this, or do I need to put it through, and then immediately mail billing if there is an issue?

1) ID Protection is the ability to hide your whois listing from public viewing, so when someone does a whois lookup they don't see your contact details but are instead shown a generic privacy protect contact.

2) When you place your order, on step 5 there is an additional notes field. In this field, please explain what you just said above. I would also suggest providing a link to this thread as well. Odds are our system will flag the order for manual review, at which point the first thing we'll look for is those notes and any verification you can provide. Should we need any further proof or if there is an issue, we'll contact you.