MySQL Transfer Question

Imperial

Hi, just purchased a hosting packaged. I know that tech stuff goes through support tickets, but I was looking for general answer as I'll start transferring my site tomorrow evening.

I've got about a 90MB MySQL database on 1&1, but they do not use cPanel. I do have access to phpMyAdmin. Can I submit a support ticket including the phpMyAdmin login information and have a Hawk Host technician move my database? Only reason I ask is that some of the tables are rather large for PMA imports.

What customers usually do in this case is download a copy through phpmyadmin at their old host then upload the database to their ftp account with us. After they've done that they make the database the data should be imported into and make a ticket asking for us to restore the data from the file they uploaded.

I would also like to note that I greatly appreciate the 50MB MySQL upload limit. Most hosts have it set to 2MB or 8MB, hardly enough to move large forum tables. I was able to break up my database into 4 sections, each at about 5MB or less with gzip compression and easily re-upload them. Its nice to be on a server that loads quickly. :)

I would also like to note that I greatly appreciate the 50MB MySQL upload limit. Most hosts have it set to 2MB or 8MB, hardly enough to move large forum tables. I was able to break up my database into 4 sections, each at about 5MB or less with gzip compression and easily re-upload them. Its nice to be on a server that loads quickly. :)

Glad to hear it worked out for you! In the future if you don't feel like breaking up the SQL file into smaller sections just upload it to the root of your account and submit a ticket with the filename / MySQL details and we'll import it for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've transfered some databases from Hostmonster to HawkHost recently, and in all of them UTF-8 characters were lost. I know HH has utf-8 enabled since the new databases haven't got any problems, so it seems I did something bad in the transfer (import) process.

What should I do to transfer the databases without encoding problems? :confused:

How did you generate the export file? The SQL within it should have the encoding information for the tables. Depending on if you used something other than say phpmyadmin it may remove the encoding portions.

The other possibility is if you downloaded it to your computer and opened it you may have converted to something other than utf-8

I've generated the export file through phpmyadmin, downloaded it and tried uploading it both via import function and sql function in HawkHost's phpmyadmin.

Still having problems. Also, even though there is data in the database, it shows as empty for some articles and forum threads as ie: http://ocili.com/projects/news/

What I'd recommend you do is upload the export file to your webspace with us and make a ticket asking us to import it into the database. We can do it via command line and at least be able to rule out that importing portion is causing the encoding issues.