Photo
- - - - -

Do VPS accounts include private nameservers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 writerguy

writerguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

I'm considering one of your Advanced VPS accounts. Looking at account features, I didn't see anything about private nameservers. What I currently have are two private nameservers, i.e., ns1.mydomain.com instead of ns1.hawkhostdomain.com.

I would like to have the ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com nameservers, but I don't understand whether that's what I would be getting?

Thanks.

Gary

#2 Cody R.

Cody R.

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

I'm considering one of your Advanced VPS accounts. Looking at account features, I didn't see anything about private nameservers. What I currently have are two private nameservers, i.e., ns1.mydomain.com instead of ns1.hawkhostdomain.com.

I would like to have the ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com nameservers, but I don't understand whether that's what I would be getting?

Thanks.

Gary

We don't provide any additional services with the VPS - most users setup name servers on the VPS itself or use a third party such as dnsmadeeasy.com or freedns.afraid.org

Cody Robertson
HawkHost

#3 gunwitch

gunwitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have a similar question:

When ordering a new VPS, on step 3 there are following options available:

Configure Server:
NS1 Prefix: [...] eg. ns1(.yourdomain.com)
NS2 Prefix: [...] eg. ns2(.yourdomain.com)

So according to your answer, there is no way to somehow "link" the NSs mentioned above with the HawkHost? Like redirect them to nsX/nsY.hawkhost.com?

I'm totally new to VPS (but experienced with the HHs shared hosting) and just didn't understand how I can run my own NSs on the same machine they need to point requests to.

Although, I know about 3rd-party DNS services (and even use ZoneEdit for one of my sites), but not completely understand how they will work standalone (I use ZoneEdit as an extra NS, so it fetches all the config info from HH nameservers).
Or I'll just need to type all the records manually?

#4 Brian

Brian

Operations Manager

• Administrators
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

When you have a VPS you're actually running your own DNS from the VPS, so you would control it entirely and it would not be linked to/associated with our nameserver cluster at all.

When you sign up you provide us the nameservers you want to use (ns1.yourdomain.com / ns2.yourdomain.com) and then (assuming you order WHM) they would be setup through there. At that point you would register the nameservers with your domain registrar and you'd be ready to make the switch.

Brian Farrell
Operations Manager
HawkHost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users