Server performance deteriorating rapidly

someguy03

I am on Jupiter and over the last month or so (since the huge ATT outage) my hosting has been having increasing problems.

I was just using my FTP to upload a 2KB icon via FileZilla and after I started the upload and it took almost 5+ seconds for the server to process the request, sometimes it just doesn't process the upload at all and I have to cancel. This has been happening repeatedly over the last week or so. The FTP used to respond instantly to all my requests.

I am temporarily hosting 2 websites for a client and he has been complaining that the sites have been running slower recently and I have noticed it as well. I just loaded one of the sites and it sat at a white screen for 15 SECONDS saying that it was "connecting" "waiting" "transferring data" from my server. At the 15 second mark it finally started to load elements of the page and was done by about 20-25 seconds. This is ridiculous. I loaded the other site and it took almost 20 seconds at a white screen before anything started to load. I can assure you that a month ago all of these sites loaded instantly and that it has nothing to do with how the sites were designed. I have seen refreshes take 10+ seconds. Whats the deal? My punishment for buying the cheapest plan?

We haven't had any other complaints of performance issues with Jupiter recently, so there is nothing known which could be attributing to the issues you're seeing. Have you tried contacting our support department regarding this yet? By raising a ticket we'd be able to pull up all of your account details and work with you to attempt to replicate the problems you're seeing and resolve them.

I'm on Titan, and recent weeks I too noticed problems with the server's performance. I'm watching Googlebot crowling my almost static sites, and see it reflecting more and more slowdowns. On Jan 14 the bot was complaining of Error 408 for a very small html page with 4 weeks public cache for text and 1 year public cache for images... I'm absolutely sure that my sites are Ok, I have their full replicas on my local LAMP and tweaked them as much as I could for better performance, and until recently they performed a way better on Titan. Methinks, the problem is on the server's side... I didn't contact support yet, because I hope, these performance anomalies are temporary.

I'm on Titan, and recent weeks I too noticed problems with the server's performance. I'm watching Googlebot crowling my almost static sites, and see it reflecting more and more slowdowns. On Jan 14 the bot was complaining of Error 408 for a very small html page with 4 weeks public cache for text and 1 year public cache for images... I'm absolutely sure that my sites are Ok, I have their full replicas on my local LAMP and tweaked them as much as I could for better performance, and until recently they performed a way better on Titan. Methinks, the problem is on the server's side... I didn't contact support yet, because I hope, these performance anomalies are temporary.

408 request timeouts are when the web server is waiting for content from an application (php, perl etc.) or page itself and it never comes and eventually it has to timeout the page for the user rather than continuing to hang. If that is happening on a static page something is very wrong there I'd recommend making a ticket about that and providing us with a url to the page the bot got a 408 on.

I registered an account just to post on this thread. I too like someguy03, is having performance problems in Jupiter. I've had my hosting in Jupiter for a very long time and until few weeks ago, it started lagging out on me and I recently had few people telling me this on my site. I was looking around this forum if someone was having a similar situation and here I found it.

Edit: I read about the upcoming changes here:

I suppose this should fix it soon?

We recently implemented CloudLinux on Jupiter (December 27th) which will limit your resource use if you're using more than the account is allocated. This may account for any slowness you see, you should login to your cPanel and check the real time CPU usage. At the server level though overall system resources are fine. We keep a close watch on all machines with multiple performance monitors so if something goes wrong or is going wrong we know. One other thing to keep in mind is we're moving Jupiter to shared only () here shortly to isolate it from reseller accounts like it's with now. While this may or may not effect performance of the account it's worth noting.

It's impossible to say though what exactly is causing the issues you're seeing without knowing more about your account, and those are obviously details we can't obtain through a public forum. Anyone having issues I strongly urge you to submit a ticket at https://support.hawkhost.com, explain the issues in detail, and our helpdesk team will investigate the problems immediately.

One other thing to keep in mind is we're moving Jupiter to shared only () here shortly to isolate it from reseller accounts like it's with now.

Tony mentioned the migration would allow access to shared hosting specific features, could you explain that a little further? I'm curious to which features will be added.

Tony mentioned the migration would allow access to shared hosting specific features, could you explain that a little further? I'm curious to which features will be added.

Our own cPanel theme with right now additional information and maybe additional features at a later date. Various features work properly and as expected like upgrading between plans. SSH is enabled on all accounts there is no requesting it. Then obviously with being strictly with our shared hosting customers no worries of resellers not screening customers properly and causing random issues on machines. It's something we've been doing the past year as we had grown to a point where we could have either service fill machines pretty quickly so it was no longer a waste of resources.

We've identified a potential issue on Jupiter after researching some specifics provided to us by users via support ticket. Last night during a maintenance window our sysadmins rolled out an upgraded kernel which will allow us to track isolate and resolve the issue. As mentioned previously as well all your shared accounts will be getting migrated this weekend (we just finished preparing the new server for production) so between those two events any degradation in performance you've seen will be resolved.