MySQL 5.5.8

Jack1

• 2 years later...

Have you guys got any plans to upgrade to MySQL 5.5.X in the near future baring in mind 2 years has past since your last update?

We're not sure when we'd expect to offer it.  There are some issues with older versions of various pieces of software like Joomla that we need to determine the best way to tackle before we could realistically use it.  If everyone kept up to date and ran the latest versions we would not have this problem unfortunately a lot do not. 

What we would probably end up doing is offering MySQL 5.5 on some newer systems then when the time is right upgrade everyone to 5.5  It's how we handled MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 and seems the best way to deal with 5.1 to 5.5.

A MySQL upgrade might be the motivation needed to get those users to upgrade their software then.  No matter how long you wait, there will always be users that can't be bothered to upgrade or don't see a need until they hit an issue or their site gets compromised.  I am sure in a years time a fair percentage of the users currently running software that has issues with MySQL 5.5.x, will still be running it.

I understand that you don't really want to cause customers issues but no matter when you do it, it will annoy some customers and MySQL 5.5 has been around for a while now so I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect customers to have sites compatible by now. If you give all users a fair warning aswell then again it would really be unreasonable in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

We ran into some issues during the course of the upgrades so we reverted some servers and are slowly upgrading the rest. The ones we have upgraded have so far looked great since we fixed the bugs we saw so I expect we'll continue the upgrades over the course of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on MySQL 5.5 rolling out to all servers?  I am guessing there has been another hold up.

70% of the servers are on MySQL 5.5 now at this point with the rest of them set to be upgraded this week.  The last of them require a little more watching to fix any issues so we're taking our time making sure they don't break upon being upgraded.

We actually found a bug in mysql_upgrade script which was one of the slow downs and unfortunately when we produce the bug a technician needs to go through and manually fix the tables producing the bug.  It's a huge headache and surprising no one has ever encountered it.  Although the bug I imagine MySQL specifically tells users not to do what we found some users doing causing the upgrade script to break.

70% of the servers are on MySQL 5.5 now at this point with the rest of them set to be upgraded this week.  The last of them require a little more watching to fix any issues so we're taking our time making sure they don't break upon being upgraded.

All servers are running MySQL 5.5 now.